frfr plus matrix n12's........WOW!

rknrollo

I have been playing thru my "homemade" stereo FRFR 4x12 looking cab for a while and also using EV ELX 112P's, both sound great and the "half stack" has really worked well for backline and FOH and live without FOH but a bit heavy. For those who dont know I took a Randall empty 4x12 cab, gutted two Behringer B312d powered speakers, mounted the tweeters in 12" round waveguides, split the cab, woofers in the bottom and careful foam damping in the cab, mounted the two 550 watt amps on the back which also have 2 band eq. Not true frfr but great sound, look great and have been rock solid reliable.

So I got intriged with the lightweight matrix nl12's so I bough two from a guy on ebay and broke down and bought a Matrix gt1000fx 1u amp.

Just looking to try something different and lighter, first off I love the cabs, light, sound huge and loud and have a very extended range over most guitar cabs low and high.

I started playing with the n12's and matrix with sims and without, they even sound decent using sims. Before I even started dialing the speakers without sims I tried my "FRFR" half stack, turned the two nl12's about 20 degrees off axis from the cab and dialed the volumes with the cab sims on and WOW!

Sounds killer at low volumes, at high volumes I'd swear there was two full stacks behind me, maybe thats the trick, FRFR AND CAB, all the frequencies seem to be there and the amp in the room...........................100_1005.jpg
9ec227.jpg

Cool story. I had a similar revelation running a Matrix CFR12 and my traditional Celestion V30 loaded cabs side by side (Framus 2x12" at home and Hughes&Kettner 4x12" at rehearsal space). There's definitely something awesome about running FRFR and traditional cabs along. I'm using the Matrix Gt1000fx for powering.

I have 2 Matrix CFR 12s in front of me, and for outdoor gigs, I bring my ADA split stack cabinets, in which I replaced the 50 watt Celestions with some FRFR coax speakers. Sounded killer all over my half of the stage! Powered with the Matrix GT1000

I usually play kind of quiet, and only bring the split stack cabs so our drummer can hear my guitar better, at his request. Indoors, they are not necessary in the clubs we play.

Back
Top Bottom