FRFR Patch Tweaking Question....

Great thread! There are really two issues with different focus mixed here. One - what do you sound like to yourself, i.e. monitors, and two - what do you sound like to your audience.

I don't think tone is as important on the monitoring side of the equation or how that could be described as a train wreck as long as FOH sound is solid? As hbucker stated, these same challenges existed with a mic'd amp; it's really no different in the modeling world - you want to dial in a tone and have it translate to FOH, whether via a mic'd amp or direct from a modeler. It seems the general consensus is the best way to accomplish that is by dialing in tone with a FRFR speaker/cab at volume and the result is we can be pretty sure to wind up at least in the ballpark through whatever PA or monitor we wind up with at a gig.

But I'm totally driving without a license here!

Thanks! No, just a loud classic and prog rocker. (Although I'm amazed at the stages some of these churches support...wow). My pic is of a Wild Wing bar gig. My band is associated with fine chicken wing establishments throughout the Southeast. :D

Thanks! No, just a loud classic and prog rocker. (Although I'm amazed at the stages some of these churches support...wow). My pic is of a Wild Wing bar gig. My band is associated with fine chicken wing establishments throughout the Southeast. :D

Ah, well you have some great stage lighting going on their!

Great thread! There are really two issues with different focus mixed here. One - what do you sound like to yourself, i.e. monitors, and two - what do you sound like to your audience.

I don't think tone is as important on the monitoring side of the equation or how that could be described as a train wreck as long as FOH sound is solid? As hbucker stated, these same challenges existed with a mic'd amp; it's really no different in the modeling world - you want to dial in a tone and have it translate to FOH, whether via a mic'd amp or direct from a modeler. It seems the general consensus is the best way to accomplish that is by dialing in tone with a FRFR speaker/cab at volume and the result is we can be pretty sure to wind up at least in the ballpark through whatever PA or monitor we wind up with at a gig.

But I'm totally driving without a license here!

This is true! two different things going on. Personally I would rather hear myself on monitors that I dialed my presets with and not really worried about how I sound in the house. The reason I say this is it inspires me to play better when the hair on the back of my neck is standing up or have a huge smile on my face vrs me focusing on how bad my tone is. I have fallen victim to this and it's very distracting hence the train wreck comment!

I would much rather leave FOH to whoever is running sound and hopefully they have some experience on how to mix or at the very least know what good guitar tone should sound like in the context of a mix.

If you are running direct or are considering it you really want your presets to sound the way you dialed them in. Using a reference quality monitor is really the best way to achieve this!

Back
Top Bottom