FRFR Options CLR vs ?

I bought a Gemini 2 a couple weeks ago from Sweetwater. I also have 2 CLR powered wedges. I'm just an at home player so I have no experience with either in a band situation. I always had the CLR's wall mounted to the sides of my desk. I wanted to try a traditional cab set-up and the Mission was easy cause it's powered and immediately available. I really like the size, looks and construction. Prior to the CLR, I used EV ELX12P's. I'm no tone expert, but at first I didn't get the WOW factor with the Mission like I did when I first tried the CLR. Its' a cab though and not speakers pointing at my head, so after some tweaking, (mostly cutting the reverb mix in my patches cause for whatever reason it is more prominent on the Mission), I'm REALLY liking the cab. My EV's are now mounted on the wall and the CLR's are waiting for me to get a chance to try a W/D/W set-up which should sound incredible.

I just want to update my experience with my Mission cab as I just realized something last night. One side was not working LOL. I used my Axe about 90% through headphones and have only used the cab mainly when no ones home and I can play loud. I kinda thought something wasn't right with what I was hearing but figured I was just getting used to using a cab again. Some sound does bleed through the speaker that was out. I confirmed last night using the balance in a patch that one side had no sound. I got worried. Mine is the bluetooth version so I tried playing music through it and both sides worked fine. So that eliminated a problem with the speaker or amp. Took the back cover off and looked around for a wire off. I figured it was something to do with the input. Couldn't find anything till I noticed that the terminal that plugs into the input plate had a wire that I could see the some of the metal clip on one wire sticking out and I was able to push it back in. That worked and now both sides work with the Axe!! Sounds incredible now!! Thats also why the reverb was so prominent.

I was there as well and honestly you probably can't go wrong with any of them as they all sounded pretty good. I am sure if you set up you patches for each one they would all sound really good. I have two CLR's and in my opinion I can get mine to sound much better than what I heard at the summit, but that has to do with the patches. I thought your Xitones sounded pretty good as well. I was most impressed by the Gemini. It sounded more cab like to me. In the end I am really happy with my CLR's and don't regret purchasing them and I love the way music sounds on them. They key for me to get used to FRFR sound was to mix IR's. An IR by itself might sound dull or bright, but you blend them and you have a great sound. I struggled for awhile until I figured this out.

I couldn't be a bigger XiTone fan. I am only into the Axefx for about 2 years but in that time I seriously audio-junkied out and tried just about all configurations and as many FRFR solutions I could get my hands on. IMO, for rock/alt/blues a combo of FRFR and amp-cab is simply undeniable. After I completed my XiTone/Egnater rig I truly hit the finish line. That full, rich, phat tone never felt better. Then while I was setting up at rehearsal I simply switched my XiTone cab to FRFR on one side, and standard driver on the other side, without the Egnater. My jaw dropped again...

The way it's constructed, the options available to you, the immaculate customer service and attention, makes XiTone the clear choice for my needs. The Runners up were the NL212 and believe it or not, the Alto powered 15" PA speaker!! I keep one of these in my studio for backup and general PA use! The CLR just soundedkond of hollow and "boxey" to me personally. But to their credit, I was just learning the Axefx while I was trying it out and could probably dial it in better now..

Good luck! All great options, and what a great issue to have as a guitarist!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom