FRFR How many do you need

durden7

Love the fractal, but am now shopping for FRFR active speaker(s).

So my question is not so much what brand to buy. (I am thinking Alto vs QSC, but only because I am mostly using in my basement and don't need the crazy power or cost)

What I really need to know is if I can buy just one speaker or if I need a pair. Granted, stereo effects can't happen with one speaker, but I was upgrading from a tube amp and am used to one cone. Can I get by with one FRFR? Would it work?

you most definitely can get by with one, and it sounds fantastic, and in fact a lot of guys prefer a mono set up.

you will be missing out on some ear candy though.

2 is luxury, one is enough.....though my second matrix q12 arrives tomorrow:) well i play electronic music
drum n bass stuff sometimes and have stereo fx from ableton. other than this one is allways enough.

Reactions: LVC
If you get just one it needs to sound really really good. Think CLR. If you buy two they can each be less than perfect but still sound great together. That was my experience running an FBT (much less than perfect) with my RCF NX 12SMA (closer to ideal). They sounded really great together. much better than the RCF by itself.

My two CLRs take the cake though. CLR is the first speaker I've owned where I'm truly happy performing live with just one. Of course it's even better with two. YMMV of course.

I'm used to two.

But I really *want* three :)

I'm using two CLR's now and would love to do W/D/W with a third one.

I rationalize stripping a rig down and then end up getting more gear and expanding the rig back to pretty much the same weight. :)

This question is mainly directed at CLR owners: If I'm using one as backline, would I also need one as a floor monitor? Bear in mind, I play with some very loud drummers and frequently have trouble hearing myself on stage. Recently I've been using a pair of Deeflex sound deflectors which helps to spread the sound out and removes the beaming effect on the audience. Would these still be necessary with a CLR backline speaker?

Seriously. I wrote this post before bed last night and now have 10 replies. This was exactly what I needed to know.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

I'm from a slightly different planet. I didn't just stop at stereo, I added an entire second system using the OUT2. The "wide" speakers typically are a modified version of the primary signal path with slightly different delays. I tried breaking out of the chain at different places and adding more effects before sending it into the FX Loop block. This started out as an experiment since there was another Crown XLS available. I love the effect, but I highly doubt I will ever gig with it. The bottom line is; the AxeFxII kicks butt no matter how you use it. If one speaker does it for you, Rock-on Man!! What's NOT to love about this machine? (by the way, I use custom cabs loaded with Faital Pro 12FH500 drivers)

I want to get another Xitone wedge eventually. Back when I was playing thru two Marshall cabs, I noticed a big difference when using two versus just one. The effects were utilized better and it obviously sounded more full.

Back
Top Bottom