FRFR General N00b Questions

digitald00m

I just got my FM9T and got a sound that I really love! Amazing sounds with this thing. Best I have ever heard.

I so far have been only using it going direct into my Audio Device (MOTU AVB) using humbuster cables. I listen with Event 20/20 monitor speakers.

Now I am at a point where I would like to play in a garage with a drummer I know. There is no PA.

So here are some basic n00b questions:
  • Will an FRFR keep up over a drumset in a garage? I see alot of 8in and 10in options out there.
    I notice Laney has a 2x12 (and the first 4x12), wondering if I need something like the 2x12 to hear it over a drummer. I see wedges out there but not sure how that would work when there is no PA and its just in a garage.

• Is there a brand of FRFR which will translate my patch 'mostly' perfectly using its speaker?
    If it really is a full range, flat response it should translate to a recording monitor speaker right? I am reading and hearing some people talk trash on FRFR as they are saying that even FRFR speakers are colored (and prone to different frequency variations). I am hoping there is a good brand where this is less true.

Brands I am considering are: Fender FR-12, Redsound MF-10, Laney 2x12. Open to any other suggestions.

• Dual Amps & Multiple Cabs with FRFR ok?
    I am also reading/hearing that the IR and cab used will make a huge difference when going to FRFR. I am very happy with the cab IR's (which are fractal stock) and really hoping that I wouldn't have to change these out of concern it would alter the sound. Also haven't seen any video's on youtube that show people using dual amps with different speaker combinations.

• If I use stereo out, will I absolutely need a stereo set of FRFR speakers?
    I would hate to have to set the output to mono as it just sounds so good in stereo. Willing to go all in on a stereo set, placing one on each side of the drummer.
I know these are alot of questions but would appreciate any feedback.

Welcome @digitald00m .

There are many FRFR systems that can keep up with a live drum set. As for "mostly perfectly", they're all different, and your results may vary with different products. Many around here know about how the Meyer MJF series became a "Fractal Favorite" FRFR after the guys in Metallica showed it to me... but those are about $5000 EACH! I've used RCFs, EVs, and now RedSounds in many jam and gig situations with a live drummer and never had a problem. I play mostly rock and pop.

Most engineers I know are set against the idea of a 2x12 or 4x12 FRFR unit because of the potential for phase problems, but Devin Townsend now uses that 4x12 and loves it. I haven't tried those products myself.

Amp and Cab selections have no bearing on the matter, though you will want to choose an FRFR with sufficient power and volume to represent what you want to hear.

Stereo is nice if you can swing it, but in general, I like to keep my stereo pair together behind me, rather than separating them on opposite sides of the room.

PS: If those of us at Fractal Audio did not really like the Red Sound line, their products would not be on offer at shop.fractalaudio.com
Those guys have a new 12" FRFR offering coming soon, by the way.

1. An frfr speaker is basically a pa speaker. So depending on watts, size matters in this regard. I haven't personally used anything under 12".

2. Usually the more expensive ones will be flatter in response. Just do some research on different ones within your budget. I use 2 atomic CLR neo's. Used a QSC K12 for a long time.

3. All of that is subjective, will need testing on your part, and don't forget to tweak your settings at volume.

4. To get the stereo you need 2 speakers, but you could run both sides to one speaker, just will not do the stereo thing. ie: ping pong delay will just sound like a mono delay... etc.

5. Do some searching, this has been gone over multiple times.

EV PXM-12MP here - love them.

Lots of recent fans of the Fender FR-12 and FR-10 around here, too.

Welcome @digitald00m .

There are many FRFR systems that can keep up with a live drum set. As for "mostly perfectly", they're all different, and your results may vary with different products. Many around here know about how the Meyer MJF series became a "Fractal Favorite" FRFR after the guys in Metallica showed it to me... but those are about $5000 EACH! I've used RCFs, EVs, and now RedSounds in many jam and gig situations with a live drummer and never had a problem. I play mostly rock and pop.

Most engineers I know are set against the idea of a 2x12 or 4x12 FRFR unit because of the potential for phase problems, but Devin Townsend now uses that 4x12 and loves it. I haven't tried those products myself.

Amp and Cab selections have no bearing on the matter, though you will want to choose an FRFR with sufficient power and volume to represent what you want to hear.

Stereo is nice if you can swing it, but in general, I like to keep my stereo pair together behind me, rather than separating them on opposite sides of the room.

PS: If those of us at Fractal Audio did not really like the Red Sound line, their products would not be on offer at shop.fractalaudio.com
Very cool to hear from a fractal person! Let alone one who worked with Metallica!!!

It took me a long time to find an FRFR I liked. The EV PXM-12 finally made me happy, and then the Fender FR-12 made me even happier. I've not had an opportunity to try any Redsound products but like Matt said, if they weren't great Fractal wouldn't be offering them through their site.

And I sure would like to try out some MJFs!

Welcome @digitald00m .

Ordered a MF10!

I have some stand-in gigs with a different band. My regular gigs are all direct, Guitar, Bass, Triggered Drums (Superior Drummer 3), and occasional backing tracks.

So I just got the Fender FR-10, and used it this past weekend. It kept up with a pretty loud drummer. Although my Fractal, and vocals were also in my 8" Headrush wedge in front of me, and also in the mains a little bit to help fill the room. I had to lower the (very handy) Bass, Treble, and High-Cut controls a bit at gig volume.

Back
Top Bottom