FRFR Blanket Syndrome

Yes, this was my thought as well, and I doubt that the software is unique per unit so there is a variable there?

BTW AlbertA, thanks for your hard work regarding your IR converter gizmo, much appreciated!

AlbertA said:
The pre-emphasis is still analog, so depending on the tolerance of the components, the software de-emphasis may have to be adjusted per unit. Maybe the software is generic for all units, so in some cases, it's possible it over compensates and others it under compensates. But who knows what the margins are.

Setting the input select to rear and using the front input disables the software software de-emphasis leaving the hardware pre-emphasis on, so it's essentially a big unnatural treble boost. My method requires using a decent relatively flat instrument preamp into the rear line inputs with the I/O correctly setup for the rear input.

benson said:
reclavea said:
Setting the input to "rear" and plugging my guitar into the front input jack did the trick for me. Not sure why this is not set normally at the factory.

Thats new to me, will give it a try.

My basic tone of choice is ala....Santana, Larry Carlton.........these guys tones are relatively warm and fat. My guitar straight to the front input of the axe and selecting front input is really dark....too dark.! Levels are set correctly.

My Sony headphones are very clear and "open" compared to my other ones. Yet I'm still getting that "blanket" sound.

Same thing with different guitars.

reclavea said:
My basic tone of choice is ala....Santana, Larry Carlton.........these guys tones are relatively warm and fat. My guitar straight to the front input of the axe and selecting front input is really dark....too dark.! Levels are set correctly.

My Sony headphones are very clear and "open" compared to my other ones. Yet I'm still getting that "blanket" sound.

You're leaving a ton of critical variables out of your description. I stress that I've never had the slightest difficulty with a neutral powered monitor getting open, articulate sounds from my Axe-Fx. That said, I have never used the factory presets, nor have I used the majority of the amp sims. My go-to amp sims are Plexi 2, Class A, Brownface, and Deluxe Verb, and all of these sims, combined with my custom IRs, have an abundance of high frequencies.

I suggest you describe your guitar and your settings in some detail. The symptom you describe is not by any means intrinsic to the Axe-Fx, but, without more information, nobody here will be of much help to you in fixing it. One thing is certain: using the rear input with front input selected is a Band-Aid and is never necessary when all else is working as it should. I have no direct experience with the Mackie headphone amp, so I can't say it is a likely suspect. I would not rule it out, however. My suggestion is to do away with the Mackie and the headphones for now and use a decent stereo speaker as a test mule to sort out your tonal issues.

Jay Mitchell said:
reclavea said:

You're leaving a ton of critical variables out of your description. I stress that I've never had the slightest difficulty with a neutral powered monitor getting open, articulate sounds from my Axe-Fx. That said, I have never used the factory presets, nor have I used the majority of the amp sims. My go-to amp sims are Plexi 2, Class A, Brownface, and Deluxe Verb, and all of these sims, combined with my custom IRs, have an abundance of high frequencies.

I suggest you describe your guitar and your settings in some detail. The symptom you describe is not by any means intrinsic to the Axe-Fx, but, without more information, nobody here will be of much help to you in fixing it. One thing is certain: using the rear input with front input selected is a Band-Aid and is never necessary when all else is working as it should. I have no direct experience with the Mackie headphone amp, so I can't say it is a likely suspect. I would not rule it out, however. My suggestion is to do away with the Mackie and the headphones for now and use a decent stereo speaker as a test mule to sort out your tonal issues.

Thanks for your input!
Btw it's front input with setting for rear input.
However, what is more basic with guitar(s) straight to Axe/FX?

I'll take a second look at whether it's my guitar electronics though as there is nothing else in the chain and try other guitars as well.

reclavea said:
The phrase "signal chain" includes processing blocks in the Axe-Fx. Without know what you've put there and how you've got everything set, nobody will be able to help you.

Jay Mitchell said:
reclavea said:
The phrase "signal chain" includes processing blocks in the Axe-Fx. Without know what you've put there and how you've got everything set, nobody will be able to help you.

Basically, ........all the factory presets as well as my custom presets have the "blanket" syndrome.

I'm amazed posters are getting too much highs,..........
Still looking at my guitar(s) and cables.

Another point is that to me, the guitar into front input with the "rear input" selected, feels very much like as if I'm standing next to my amp. Notice I said "feels like"? This may work for me "live". However, the normal setting may be perfect for direct recording.

Also, in small venues, we can easily appreciate the quality of a great amp and speaker setup...even if not going thru the board. Walking around the room of course results in a different perceived sound relative to the player/amp setup. My venues vary from 100 to 500 or so capacity.

Regarding FOH, I'm also trying to sort out what is the ideal speaker IR to utilize relative to how it is recorded...ie....direct, off center ....etc........or Scott's mixed irs suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom