Fret / String noise question

jerotas

Experienced
Hi, my main guitar (McNaught Phoenix Rising) tends to produce a lot of string noise when I, for example, bend the 18th fret on the B string up a whole step and vibrato it for a couple seconds - I think it's from hitting against the G string. It makes a whole lot more noise than my cheaper Ibanez S. They both have the same strings and same pickup, Duncan Full Shred (SH-10), however the McNaught has active electronics. Could the active electronics be causing more string noise? Or is it more likely because the McNaught's action is just "too low" and when bending you just MUST get string noise.

Any ideas? I'm not sure how the active electronics affects the sound of the pickup really. It's a simple pickup blend knob, that's all.

Yes, my hunch is that your passive pick-ups are picking up only the vibration of the string...the desired tone. The active electronics are probably picking up the noise of the string rubbing on the fret as you vibrato...the noise/undesired tone.

Things I would try if I had a similar issue would be:

* Spray some finger ease, or put some lemon oil on that fret only for lubrication and see if it lessons the noise at all. If it does, then my assumption above is probably correct and you can then move on to resolve the issue.
* lower the active pick-up a smidge
* make sure your frets are clean and nice and smooth (gently steel wool). Corrosion on the frets will create more friction and noise. Also, try fresh strings with polished frets.
* try different strings. maybe some coated

If it IS an action related issue, a small correction to your bridge should resolve the problem. If your guitar gets a lot of play and you have fret wear specifically on that 18th fret moreso than on the 19th fret, that could do it...but you should be able to tell this through visual inspection of the frets and wear.

Thanks for the response. I probably should have mentioned - the frets on the McNaught are stainless steel. So they cannot be worn or damaged by normal playing, and they are not corroded. They are as smooth as glass (I had them Plek'd as well). I'll try those other things, thanks!

If the string buzzes while bending it it's because of the radius of the neck.
Probably the radius on your main guitar is smaller than the other.

Try to higher the action a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom