Freidman ams12 vs power amp and guitar cabinets question

kwikc4

I recently got my ax8 and mess around with it at low volumes at night thru my maudio studio monitors which is ok for practicing. I also run my ax8 thru a carvin tube power amp that goes into a peavey 5150 straight and a peavey 5150 slant. Would I get better tones and more flexibility with my ax8 if I was to run it into the freidman ams12's? On the other hand is my tube power amp truly warming up my tone with that real tube amp feel? I don't have any non tube power amps to compare it to nor do I have any frfr speakers. Any thoughts, ideas or opinions would be helpful. Thanks

I recently got my ax8 and mess around with it at low volumes at night thru my maudio studio monitors which is ok for practicing. I also run my ax8 thru a carvin tube power amp that goes into a peavey 5150 straight and a peavey 5150 slant. Would I get better tones and more flexibility with my ax8 if I was to run it into the freidman ams12's? On the other hand is my tube power amp truly warming up my tone with that real tube amp feel? I don't have any non tube power amps to compare it to nor do I have any frfr speakers. Any thoughts, ideas or opinions would be helpful. Thanks

Better tones is always subjective as to more flexibility, the answer is a resounding yes! The amp sims in FAS products are extremely accurate and I would go out on a limb as say that you would be pleasantly surprised at how well it will sound with those speakers.

But hey don't take my word for it as I haven't used those monitors as of yet! go and check out the reviews of the AMS 12's in the Amps and Cabs section and read what others have found.

I hooked my AX8 up to a buddies pair of ASM-12's, sounded great.

Then the next day I took my AX-8 up to another friends place and ran it into the front end of his old Fender DR (NOT 4cm method). Again it sounded great. Surprising since we didn't turn off any of the amp or cab sims.

I had thought running amp and cab sims into a regular amp was just going to cause the sound to fall apart and become a mess since that's been my past experiences with running modelers into traditional guitar amps.

Every day I'm starting to lean in the direction of a Fryette Power Station 2 amp connected to a good 1x12 cabinet as a means of getting the AX8 loud. I just haven't seen anyone offer up any real experience using the Fryette along with FAS gear.

I hooked my AX8 up to a buddies pair of ASM-12's, sounded great.

Then the next day I took my AX-8 up to another friends place and ran it into the front end of his old Fender DR (NOT 4cm method). Again it sounded great. Surprising since we didn't turn off any of the amp or cab sims.

I had thought running amp and cab sims into a regular amp was just going to cause the sound to fall apart and become a mess since that's been my past experiences with running modelers into traditional guitar amps.

Every day I'm starting to lean in the direction of a Fryette Power Station 2 amp connected to a good 1x12 cabinet as a means of getting the AX8 loud. I just haven't seen anyone offer up any real experience using the Fryette along with FAS gear.
Did you guys have a chance to crank it up with the DR?

I also ran my Axe-Fx into the front end of a DRRI at low volumes and it sounded surprisingly well, but never tried it out loud.

I also tried the Axe into a Polytone 104 which is a solid state jazz combo with a closed back 2--12 That also sounded good at low volumes. I did notice that the sound didn't translate as well at louder volumes with the Polytone. The DRRI and the Polytone seemed to add a little warmth to playing quietly. Of course I'm happy with the Friedmans.

Joe has started to run his KPA though a poweramp into a traditional cabinet and is very happy with the results. He might not be a bad guy to hit up if you want to test out your AX8 in this manner. I'm sure it will also sound great that way too.

Well we kept it pretty low since we were in his church. That might have had a lot to do with it sounding good.

The Fractal stuff sounds great lots of different ways depending on what someone is shooting for use wise.

Not everything does that.

Last edited:
It's going to sound great no matter what setup you go for. I personally use a asm for stage footprint and less stuff to carry. I love it.

Back
Top Bottom