Free Windows program to slow down audio?

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
Hey all,

I used to use a free program called BestPractice which allowed me to play back audio at slower speeds (amazing how slowing down by 5% or 10% makes it easy to figure out fast, complex, or unfamiliar runs). Unfortunately, installing it on my new laptop (Win11) doesn't work - I get error code 0xc0000142, which isn't surprising as the program is freeware written in the WinXP era.

I don't want to buy more software, or use a super heavy app (like Cubase, for example) just to learn a lick. Is there anyone here who knows of a light and free app that handles slowing down (without pitch change, obviously)?

Thanks in advance

I use Foobar2000 as MP3 player, which supports a plugin to slow down/speed up songs, and also allows transposing by semi-tones up and down.

I bit the bullet a few years ago and bought Transcribe!. Well worth it for the few times I've actually used it.

For free versions, YouTube has a 'slow down' feature that works okay, slows down to 25% speed if I recall correctly. There's also a Music Speed Changer extension I've used that works okay as well.
I was JUST NOW writing a post about transcribe-. You beat me by seconds.
It is a great app and so cheap.
has many options for slowing down audio recordings. I am not sure about the ones already mentioned but transcribe lets you watch one of those videos that has the tab on the screen with the player and you can slow all of it sown in sync. Cool for some fast, crazy things.
Just a great program as JoKer mentioned above!

Last edited:
Thanks you all! There were good suggestions here, though some of them cost money or are not easy/simple. Particular thanks to gitfruit (riffstation is great!)

I recently discovered SongMasterPro. It does a heck of a lot more than just slow down music. Transcribe is also excellent, but SongMasterPro is more intuitive for me.

Back
Top Bottom