Free Wellspring and Mad Oaks cab packs

Knobs McGee

Inspired
Hey all, I downloaded the free Wellspring and Mad Oaks cab packs offered by our generous hosts.

Sorry, in advance, if this seems like a silly post or something that's already been discussed but this is my first time loading any extra cab packs into my AX8.

Both packs come with two sets of IR files, one labeled "Axe FX II" and the other labeled "Ultra and Std". In reading the release notes about these packs, neither one mentions the AX8. Can either of these packs be used with the AX8? If so, I assume it would be the FX II but I want to be sure before risking a meltdown.

I know that beauty is in the ear or the listener but are these older collections worth the effort? Do any of you have any experience with these packs? Will they work with the AX8?

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate and have a beautiful day to those who don't.

I know that beauty is in the ear or the listener but are these older collections worth the effort? Do any of you have any experience with these packs?...

I sure like 'em. They were done really well. Just because that was a while ago, doesn't diminish that. Plus, there's a very high percentage of immediately usable IRs, without having to futz the way I do with most third party stuff - with EQ & resonance , or to sort through an archive of hundreds of mic placements, preamp and mix selections to come up something to get the job done.

I can use them as I would in a studio: Pick a IR as I would a mic: Or just run with an SM57 or MD451 through the Neve for live performance - that just works in a live mix - like the actual mics and pre. The other mics fulfill the logical sweet spot basic studio uses, without venturing into the vast extended libraries that some folks have a use for.

I'm a Beyerdynamic M-88 fanboy. Several of the Mad-Oak 88 IRs are near the front of of my user library.

There's a limited range of amp models these will work well with (like any IRs), but IME, there's nothing second rate about them.

Last edited:
I figured so but thanks for confirming! I'll load'um up. Thanks for your input.
Yup. Age has very little to do with how well things were captured and how they sound. I still use the old Redwirez captures and they sound great. Not even Ultra-Res.

Back
Top Bottom