Free Dynacab pack

I don't think we'll see all the same IRs that are in the factory Cabs since many are from third parties and they would need to reshoot their cabs as Dyna-Cabs because a standalone IR can't be converted. They will need the same cabs or the same microphones as were originally used, and if they were like Fractal's some were borrowed/loaned.

Fractal said that there will be additional cabs added to the internal suite, and that they're already working with some third parties, but we don't know much beyond that. Except that they take a lot more time to shoot.

I think he was referring to the factory DynaCabs only...

Oh yeah, I should've specified I was just talking about the DynaCabs that are currently in the firmware!

Confused Arrested Development GIF

I think offering a free Dyna-Cab with only one or two mics and other limitations would be a good idea just so people can try Cab Lab 4 and see if the Dyna-Cab system works for them. Using Cab Lab 4 with regular IRs means you are missing out on a good chunk of its functionality and have to rely on YT videos to see/hear it in action.

I do feel that the cab packs are a bit pricy for Fractal device owners just to have the same functionality in a plugin. Having full cone area and more mics at least for me is not a big enough differentiator to open my wallet. Offering a discount for the cabs found in the Fractal devices for device owners would be a good way to make them more enticing. Then charge full price for any new cabs.

If we compare the competition, Two Notes has their DynIR cabs which seem to be around $10 a cab without discounts. The $10-15 price point is psychologically more in line with "that's lunch money" level where people are more likely to pay it on a whim.

ML Sound Lab MIKKO 2 is 249 € or ~$268 for 38 cabs, and much less on discount. The cab variety on offer is not as good as Fractal, but otherwise I'd say they are quite comparable products. The free version also lets you play with a lot of mics on a single cab. MIKKO 2 has the added benefit of being able to export IRs at various sample rates, bit depths and in stereo or mono, which for me is one of the main reasons why I recently bought that instead of Cab Lab cabs. I can use those same IR mixes on my Strymon Iridium and my Axe-Fx 3.

I really like how Fractal's Dyna-Cabs sound, but to me Cab Lab 4 lacks a "killer feature" to make me pick it over the competition. If in the future it can be used to buy e.g York Audio Dyna-Cabs and install those on my Axe-Fx 3, then I'm game.

If in the future it can be used to buy e.g York Audio Dyna-Cabs and install those on my Axe-Fx 3, then I'm game.
Third party DynaCabs will almost certainly only be usable via Cab-Lab. You can then mix those and load the resulting IRs into your Axe Fx.

It's already been discussed elsewhere that there are third party IR producers that will be working on this.

Back
Top Bottom