Free Dynacab pack

For what it is worth, I thought the same thing, in that I was hoping to mix the dyna cabs in the unit to save dsp on the unit.

I'm pretty sure the factory hardware cabs have never been available in Cab Lab. There's no way to export the factory cabs for external use.
I think both of these things are kind of what we're starting to get with the new CL4 packs:
- expanded versions of on-board cab equvilents, available to mix in CL, and portable back to Axfx as a combined IR for reduced dsp (amoung other benefits)

This is something really highlighted visually in Amplitube 5, of all things. Especially for a 4x12, when in certain positions you'll be picking up a little of the speakers right next to or below the one you're on. And of course, four speakers even of the same model may sound a little different from each other anyway. If you take that out of the equation with a 1x12, even then you have the acoustics of the room making a difference in a huge way, how the room is treated, etc. So many factors!
Same here. I always assumed since the speaker cone is round, it would sound the same on either side and never bothered trying different spots at the same distance from the center.

Not to mention that due to the inconsistencies in the paper it is made from making a difference in how the cone flexes or not at pretty much every point on the cone's surface, every spot on the entire cone is going to sound a little different. The cone is far from a 100% stiff perfect piston. Then on top of that, the spider and surround are also made of materials that may or may not flex perfectly consistently. TBH, it's sort-of miraculous they are as consistent from 3m back as they are, but when you stare at the elephant through a straw, each part looks different....

I understand liking one particular mic, but, I mean, seriously? And without even trying it you can say that? Are you just trolling? Come on, you can tell me.
no because many times I prefer the sound of just an m160. I don't need anything else. You probably don't either. I just can't beat it for a solo mic. Usually for a two mic blend I use a 57 and 160 with more of the 57, but I don't usually use any of the other mics in that pack. It's like they took ALL of the mics I NEVER use, that NEVER like using, and exclusively added only those to the packs with the exception of the 57. Why would I spend time trying to mix a sound I like from mics I don't like? Bad plus bad can never equal good. If you like working that way, have fun but I have better things to do.

no because many times I prefer the sound of just an m160. I don't need anything else. You probably don't either. I just can't beat it for a solo mic. Usually for a two mic blend I use a 57 and 160 with more of the 57, but I don't usually use any of the other mics in that pack. It's like they took ALL of the mics I NEVER use, that NEVER like using, and exclusively added only those to the packs with the exception of the 57. Why would I spend time trying to mix a sound I like from mics I don't like? Bad plus bad can never equal good. If you like working that way, have fun but I have better things to do.

Well, you feel strongly about it. I just think captures are prone to their own uniqueness which may cause an unexpect IR to work really well with your guitar and playing. Since, e.g., 57s can sound wildly different from one another, and the rooms of the IR creators are all different, as well as the particular specimen of cab and speaker. I think these variables can be huge, and I've been surprised many time to find combinations working well that I didn't anticipate.

If you feel this way about it, I sugget creating a wishlist thread where others who feel similarly can express their solidarity. FAS is always providing new and cool features, so you never know.

digital (high end) cab that will never blow speakers, be mismatched to an amp, nor take up physical space for $30 vs. real cab that is heavy and takes up a lot of physical space for $200+??

Of course, $200 is the lowest of the low and typically a craigslist/fb marketplace find and those are always a nightmare… I’ll take the cab pack please.

I have no issues with the cost, my only gripe (and it's an impatient one) is with the limited initial selections. But I know there will be more coming. so I wait - impatiently!!

The other nice feature would be if it was possible to try before buy. But this might be difficult to implement so I get it. It's just that I have bought too many third party IRs that I will never use since I couldn't try them before buying. That is the way of IRs.

No matter what Fractal was very generous with the factory dynacabs (many great choices!), So I think asking for a free dynacab pack considering what was already given for free in the factory dynacabs does seem a little petty.

$30 vs. real cab that is heavy and takes up a lot of physical space for $200+??
I don't know what you are playing thru but every playback system especially anything decent takes up almost as much space as normal guitar amp/cab. Then there is the FRFR/PA thing that many have a hard time with. I have played the FM9 thru studio monitors and a Celestion F12-x200 cab along with a neutral power amp. All of those take up close to the same amount of space. There is really no space savings here unless you have some powered PA wedge etc. or playing thru studio monitors at home. My Celestion cab weighs 42lbs. This is the problem in general with IR cabs in that you will need to find some playback system that will work for you that hopefully is somewhat neutral and that incl the power amp and a speaker of sorts. When Fender released their TMP they also released several FRFR amp/speaker cabs and whatever you think of them still take up about the same amount of space as a real powered guitar cab. However their wight savings is something seems decent under 30lbs.

Are you reverse trolling? He has to buy it before he can try it. If he has a favorite mic how does asking for one or saying he would wait for one make him a troll exactly?

Haha, sure I am. And you're reverse reverse trolling me for disagreeing, right? Cool.

Read this wording:

yes need an M160 mic in the packs. I wont buy without that, since I would rather have a mono M160 than a million choices of blending other mics.

The word "need" and the phrase "I won't buy" is overly strong language for a tech platform. It's equivalent to saying the same because a Fractal unit doesn't have your favorite drive pedal, like what happened with Romeo whatever years ago with the Klom. Give me a break.

There's a way to use language in which you can recognize that the tools to do just about any sound exist, but you would like to see a particular feature, instead of that kind of absolutist talk.

I so love discussing disagreements, but absolutist language leaves no place for discussion. Trolling degrades further discussion rather than bolstering it, and that's what I see with absolutist language.

So my pointing this out is some sort of problem?

He's not making a polite request in what I quoted. What he wrote was an ultimatum.

Haha, sure I am. And you're reverse reverse trolling me for disagreeing, right? Cool.

Read this wording:

The word "need" and the phrase "I won't buy" is overly strong language for a tech platform. It's equivalent to saying the same because a Fractal unit doesn't have your favorite drive pedal, like what happened with Romeo whatever years ago with the Klom. Give me a break.

There's a way to use language in which you can recognize that the tools to do just about any sound exist, but you would like to see a particular feature, instead of that kind of absolutist talk.

I so love discussing disagreements, but absolutist language leaves no place for discussion. Trolling degrades further discussion rather than bolstering it, and that's what I see with absolutist language.

So my pointing this out is some sort of problem?

He's not making a polite request in what I quoted. What he wrote was an ultimatum.

Ok so I won't buy them until I see cabs I'm interested in. So by your definition am I a troll too? Or if I am not a troll is it because I used more eloquent language?

(If I am a troll am I pulling the triple reverse retriangulated troll? ;).)

Ok so I won't buy them until I see cabs I'm interested in. So by your definition am I a troll too? Or if I am not a troll is it because I used more eloquent language?

(If I am a troll am I pulling the triple reverse retriangulated troll? ;).)

No, you're an advanced trigonometrist, and together we'll end up createing a tesseract out of this derail!

I mean, to me language matters the most in mediums where text and the occaisional gif are all we have for communication. Eloquence can easily be the difference between meaning one thing or the other, as I see it. As I said, I love disagreeing and talking about something I think is worthwhile, because I can learn something, or maybe I can help someone else. No big deal. But the moment I set up an absolute, there is no discussion, and the substance just degrades either to "I'm more right than you", or just insults. No one learns anything, and no one wants to move the conversation forward. I think trolling in general is intentionally incindiary, and there's always something deeper being expressed that is counterproductive to the original substance. And what he wrote is so minor as far as that goes, but I just disagree strongly that any particular mic is necessary to get your tone in the context of purchasing IRs from companies.

Even if you find a pack that has a cab you love in the real world, shot with the M160, it could still not work well with your guitar, because of all the reasons cabs, speakers, mics, rooms, and audio engineers are different. And IR is a combination of all those things, so what I'm trying to say more broadly is that no one combination of cab and speaker may get you there in an IR. And to reject outright any IR as being right for your tone before trying seems to me counterproductively limiting. I just think there is way more to an IR than what one thinks of about a cab and a mic in the real world. If you own the cab and the mic, you can make sure that cab with those particular speakers sounds the way you expect, that you have a good mic specimen, and you control not only the room, but the mic pre and all the engineering knowledge to shoot it however best works for you.

If you buy an IR, you control nothing, and it's a gamble, good or bad. I may not be right, but this is why I think outright rejecting IRs because of the exclusion of a mic in that language sounds like trolling. Again, to me, how you write it matters: "I love the M160 best in the real world, and that would be awesome." That shows some respect for the enormity of time and resources it takes to make a DynaCab pack. Cliff has talked about that, so has Justin York. To write as if it's a demand for someone to spend that much time and effort to capture your personal favorite comes across to me as trolling. This is too long winded of an explanation, but one of my problems in writing, never being a good editor!

@Rex Rox, to further my own longwindedness, the best example to me of the right way to do this is just the wish list itself. You make a request and talk about it if you want, or bump it or whatever, but there's respect there, that this stuff takes a ton of work and specialized knowledge. And as far as mics go, every mic out there has fanatics about them, about their best uses, etc. Fractal can't of course satisfy every request, and of course they don't need to. All the fundamentals for ideal tone are there. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here with some of this, but I think that resting one's opinion on a product they can't reasonably try before buying in this context is beyond just a suggestion or a preference.

I wanted a movable mic in the Axe before I bought it, and it was a major factor I weighed before buying. But I didn't go on this forum and write, "I need a movable mic or I don't buy;" that to me is an uncool way of expressing a request to company that already is more customer centric that anyone else I've seen in this field.

I don't know what you are playing thru but every playback system especially anything decent takes up almost as much space as normal guitar amp/cab.
You’re kind of right, but also kind of wrong…

I have a studio setup at home. It doesn’t move… the speakers stay in place all the time - I dont pick them up and move them around.

As for playing live, I use an FRFR and go direct. Considering that I use multiple IRs on my presets between clean, crunch, and leads, I save a lot of space (and money) on stage by only having one cab that accurately represents those IRs, as opposed to one cab for every tone I use. I, also, save a load of additional space (and again… money) not having to own every mic on said presets and of course time not having to set up and tear down said mics

So I stand by my original statement

Back
Top Bottom