Frampton's Do you feel tone' with rotary effect

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
'Do you feel like we do' is one of the best classic rock solos of all time. In it Peter uses a rotary effect too which I think the II can emulate. Any takers on this?

If you mean the rotary effect at the end of the attached video, that's a Leslie (you can
see his big white Leslie cabinet on stage behind him), which we have already in the Axe.
(and the Rotary block is highly tweakable now!)

Where on the song are you referring to?

You aren't talking about the famous "Talk Box" effect (at 5:48 on the attached video) are you?
That we couldn't do, since it requires a human mouth for the effect to work. The Heil "Talk Box" is pretty cool though. Its a raw frame speaker with a funnel mounted in front of the cone, with a surgical tube coming out, that goes into the player's mouth. You mouth some words into your microphone, and it sounds like talking guitar coming out of the P.A.

Peter Frampton Do You Feel Like We Do Midnight Special 1975 FULL - YouTube

Last edited:
Not the talk box part. His tone in general would be a good pre set then having the rotary in the as an option would be cool!

I agree on the tone - with or without the rotary, it's killer. Ideally, I'd really love to nail the lead tone, especially the break at 2:20 on the original "live" recording. It's gotta a very cool "snap" quality about it that really stands out. For years I thought this was just a straight Marshall tone, but I've read several interviews about Peter using a Ampeg in addition to the standard Marshalls (and it's clearly visible on pics from the era) - not sure what model or when it was used, but it could have been blended in at certain times.

Just saw Peter in Durham, NC last month and he's still working it - really a versatile player.

great tone...id love to have it too
i remember reading somewhere that he had a switch on the guitar wired to activate the talkbox. pretty cool idea.

An Ampeg Super Echo Twin is the Ampeg Frampton uses. It's a great sounding amp, like 2 Reverborockets in a 2-12. It's not a really loud 2-12 and it can definitely be overpushed, but before that, it overdrives in an almost "hi-fi" way that remains very articulate and defined. Great amps, but very hard to find as they were only made in the early-mid 60s and not in great quantity. I own one and had never seen one before the one I bought. I thought it was one of the blue checked Reverborockets from the 90s until I looked more closely and realized it was old but in great shape.

Back
Top Bottom