Frampton's Black Hole Sun

skydog

Experienced
Can anyone provide some direction for a Mutron III emulation? I found one or two examples, but they didn't work. In this photo, Frampton's Mutron III settings for the song are on the left-side unit. Would this be a pitch block with frequencies shifted with an envelope follower, or the formant block, or I don't know what...?
1659700338413.png

No bites, so far.

I’ve searched the forum, but only one or two very mild examples.
Have experimented with the formant block and an envelope follower controller. Got about 80% there. More time tomorrow to tweak.
May start a parallel approach, trying an autowah combined with octave-down pitch and overdrive.

This effort is similar to the thread about classic effects. The axe fx is the appropriate platform, to pursue the complete signal chain.

Ok, I have a Mutron III and put it on those same settings. It's not that far off from the "Auto Wah Funk" preset (actually sounds a little thinner than the preset at those settings). Try that with a Box o' Crunch drive and adjust to taste. The tone he's getting is the combination of his drive pedal and the Mutron III. Without the drive it sounds totally different.IMG_2207.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! You’re absolutely heroic!

Man, I wish I had bought a Mutron III back in the day. I have an original Univibe, Big Muff, Fuzz Face, Phase 90, and Cry Baby, but I’m Mutronless. Found one once in a store loaded with vintage stuff, just outside of Detroit, but the owner would never sell anything, lol. A curious thing.

Verification:
I assume you have the drive after the auto wah.

I’ll tune this patch to the song, and get it posted.

Thanks! You’re absolutely heroic!

Man, I wish I had bought a Mutron III back in the day. I have an original Univibe, Big Muff, Fuzz Face, Phase 90, and Cry Baby, but I’m Mutronless. Found one once in a store loaded with vintage stuff, just outside of Detroit, but the owner would never sell anything, lol. A curious thing.

Verification:
I assume you have the drive after the auto wah.

I’ll tune this patch to the song, and get it posted.

Correct! The drive is after the auto wah. I also have the Micro-Tron III that Mike Beigel (original Mutron founder) makes, and it's honestly just as good as the original. If I A/B them I absolutely can't tell them apart, and they're much more affordable than the originals. I actually have this one listed for sale on Reverb, but I'm in no real hurry to sell it. Let me know how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom