Fractal virgin

Thanks everyone!
I’ve been reading a lot and watching G66 demos.
Still kinda confused about scenes, channels, snapshots and presets.
For gigs I feel I can get by with 5-6 main sounds so I think I can accomplish this without needing an FC-6 or 12 once I understand it all.
I could see wanting those extra presets tho, especially once I start writing with the fractal in mind.

Channels = Individual sounds per block. This about this like channels on an amp. You get 4 per block and they can all be changed in scenes.

Scenes = A complete collection of all of your set channels and effects for a particular sound. For example - I have a clean scene that includes my clean amp channel, my ambient delay channel, my chorus on and my reverb on. I then have a crunch channel with my crunchy amp channel, delay off, chorus off, and reverb on. Think of scenes as the end result of all of the pedalboard dancing you would do to get a particular sound for a song. Except you can do it all with a single button press and toggle between them seamlessly.

Snapshots are Line 6's version of Scenes for Helix products. Same idea though.

Has anyone done Carter’s class?
Also, my desktop is totally fried. I need to get a new one for demoing eventually but I do have an iPad. Can I tweak using the iPad? I know you can get sounds and tweak presets using just the unit but that looks a little intimidating

Also, my desktop is totally fried. I need to get a new one for demoing eventually but I do have an iPad. Can I tweak using the iPad? I know you can get sounds and tweak presets using just the unit but that looks a little intimidating
I have done CC's Master Class for the Axe FXIII but not the FM3. I thought it was the best money I have spent since acquiring my Axe in Dec '21, however he starts the class with the assumption more or less (and states as such in the opening video) that you should know some basics about the unit before you dive in. Point is, play with it for a couple of weeks, read the manuals, try to remember most of what is in the manual, etc. Then take the class from CC. When I first got my Axe, I spent a good 12 hours over the course of a few days trying all of the presets and narrowed it down to about 30. I then spent another 6-8 hours to narrow it down to 3 presets I liked. I then took components and setting from each of those 3 and made my own preset that I liked more than any stock presets. Then I took CC's class, and it opened up a bunch of new doors of stuff to try. Enjoy and once you understand the basics of the system, it will become second nature!!!

I 've done Carters class on the FM3 and i also think at least for me it was money WELL spent! Especially on the initial set-up of global values. Plus the fact you always have it to refer back to, very detailed.

How big of a difference would it be moving from a QSc2402 to something “made” for the fractal ?
I’m guessing not much or at least not enough till I get GAS again.

Had it a couple weeks now and I love it!! Signed up for Carter’s class.

Quick question that I’m sure I’ll figure out eventually but I’ll ask anyways.
I wanna make the footswitch thing as simple as possible
Switch 1 I wanna use to toggle between presets. I’m gonna make a preset for every song my bad plays. Most songs have at least 3-4 scene/tonal changes. I wanna use switch 2 to toggle up and down between those
Switch 3 I wanna keep for tap tempo and tuner
How hard is this?
I’m a long way from having a preset for every song btw!! Lol

Switch 1 I wanna use to toggle between presets. I’m gonna make a preset for every song my bad plays. Most songs have at least 3-4 scene/tonal changes. I wanna use switch 2 to toggle up and down between those
How hard is this?

You can assign tasks to each individual switch with FM3 Edit, and then using the FC-Edit option.

How hard is this?
Off the top of my head that should be pretty easy, using FC Edit.

I figured it out.
For my situation it Seems like it makes more sense to put all the work and detail into making the presets and scenes than it is making an elaborate f switch scheme

How hard is this?
I read that you are about to create a preset per song. Maybe it is interessting to you what I figured out for me.
I was in a similar situation recently wanting a preset for each song. But than I realized that the base of each preset was more or less always the same amps + cabs and even effects. In case you want to change your "main sound" you have to replace probably many many effect/amp blocks in those presets. For this reason I decided for a different approach. I created some basic presets such as Clean, Crunch, Rock, Lead 1 and Lead 2 plus some special ones for those songs that they really need special effects.

To assign these presets to songs I bought a usb to midi adapter to connect my tablet to FM3. There are even bluetooth options available. On my tablet I have a setlist app running which can send midi commands to FM3 for each song, even the tempo I can bet set in this way, channel select and bypass effect blocks ! So choosing a song in the app sends midi program change and CC commands to control the FM3.

To know how many different sounds I need I did an excel sheet with all the songs I have in my setlist and added a colomn for each sound a song requires, i.e.
1. "Highway To Hell" - "AC/DC Intro Fat" - "AC/DC Rythm" - "AC/DC Solo"
2. "Poison" - "Rock Intro" - "Rock Rythm" - "Rock Rythm+Delay" - "Rock Solo"
3. "Let It Rain" - "Accoustic Clean" - "BreakUp Rythm" - "Crunch Solo"
For AC/DC stuff I dedicated one preset, because I have more than one AC/DC song in my setlist but all can use the same sounds :)
"Poison" uses a "kitchen sink" preset that is used for many other songs aswell, but I set the tempo and the delay channel especially for the song
"Let It Rain" also uses a kitchen sink preset as Poison but different channels for the amp, different tempo and different delay channel
and so on ...

And in case I want to change basic sounds I only need to adjust a few presets. My setlist has 78 songs which I was able to reduce to 12 main presets instead of 78. Also you have to think that you have way less levels to control in this way ;-)

And hopefully very soon there will be a setlist feature in FM3 aswell then there wouldnt be the need anymore for a tablet-solution (unless you want to do special thinks via midi commands)

only my 2 cent ;-)

I figured it out.
For my situation it Seems like it makes more sense to put all the work and detail into making the presets and scenes than it is making an elaborate f switch scheme

It's not elaborate or hard to change assignments for the footswitches. Maybe 5 minutes, and then
another 5 minutes to change them back, or to some other configuration. :)

I read that you are about to create a preset per song. Maybe it is interessting to you what I figured out for me.
I was in a similar situation recently wanting a preset for each song. But than I realized that the base of each preset was more or less always the same amps + cabs and even effects. In case you want to change your "main sound" you have to replace probably many many effect/amp blocks in those presets. For this reason I decided for a different approach. I created some basic presets such as Clean, Crunch, Rock, Lead 1 and Lead 2 plus some special ones for those songs that they really need special effects.

To assign these presets to songs I bought a usb to midi adapter to connect my tablet to FM3. There are even bluetooth options available. On my tablet I have a setlist app running which can send midi commands to FM3 for each song, even the tempo I can bet set in this way, channel select and bypass effect blocks ! So choosing a song in the app sends midi program change and CC commands to control the FM3.

To know how many different sounds I need I did an excel sheet with all the songs I have in my setlist and added a colomn for each sound a song requires, i.e.
1. "Highway To Hell" - "AC/DC Intro Fat" - "AC/DC Rythm" - "AC/DC Solo"
2. "Poison" - "Rock Intro" - "Rock Rythm" - "Rock Rythm+Delay" - "Rock Solo"
3. "Let It Rain" - "Accoustic Clean" - "BreakUp Rythm" - "Crunch Solo"
For AC/DC stuff I dedicated one preset, because I have more than one AC/DC song in my setlist but all can use the same sounds :)
"Poison" uses a "kitchen sink" preset that is used for many other songs aswell, but I set the tempo and the delay channel especially for the song
"Let It Rain" also uses a kitchen sink preset as Poison but different channels for the amp, different tempo and different delay channel
and so on ...

And in case I want to change basic sounds I only need to adjust a few presets. My setlist has 78 songs which I was able to reduce to 12 main presets instead of 78. Also you have to think that you have way less levels to control in this way ;-)

And hopefully very soon there will be a setlist feature in FM3 aswell then there wouldnt be the need anymore for a tablet-solution (unless you want to do special thinks via midi commands)

only my 2 cent ;-)
For sure !!
I’m trying not to “marry” myself to any set idea before I learn the machine better
Just seems like it would be super cool to have tailored sounds for each songs
So what program are you using for set lists and are we sure this is something the fractal will get soon?

For sure !!
I’m trying not to “marry” myself to any set idea before I learn the machine better
Just seems like it would be super cool to have tailored sounds for each songs
So what program are you using for set lists and are we sure this is something the fractal will get soon?
I am using MobileSheets for android systems - I bought the Pro Version for 16€ but also the free version is great ! There are others for apple devices aswell, but I dont remember the name now.

The setlist feature for FM3 was mentioned several times already and that it is already in test phase. But there is no info when it will be released.

Reactions: MPZ
Back
Top Bottom