Fractal Unit and EV ZLX12p

Hey Guys!

I am running my AX8 through a single ev zlx12p active monitor speaker. My ax8´s output is set around 12 o clock and the speakers input gain is set a little over 0db. the speakers screen doesn´t show any kind of clipping.
the speakers master volume goes from -40db to +10db. i usually have it set around -5 to 0 to keep up at practice volumes. i only use that single speaker, i don´t go in our PA.
the volume level is somewhat ok...but i always feel like, i´m running out of power.

now the weird thing......if i play a little louder than usual, speakers mv set to 0, my speaker starts to smell funny. kinda like heated up plastic or almost burned.

do other users, that use the same type of monitor, have similar problems?
i don´t want my speaker to crap out on me!

btw...a friend of mine, that deals with PA´s, has a few of the same speakers and he seems to be ok with it.
i bought my speakers brandnew and he said, i could be quite possible, that they do that, because they aren´t broken in yet.

thx for ya´lls help!

I bought the EV ELX112P speakers some years back. I read a lot of reviews prior to my purchase, and recall that some other users experienced that their speakers smelled "funny". Some of the early models had this problem, don't remember but it might have been the glue they used that caused the problem. So, funny smell is not new to EV products, might be the same you are experiencing with your ZLX's, perhaps?

A confirmation that our rehearsal room sucks. I have my Axe-FX's volume at full and the EV at +6-7 to be able to hear myself...

My speaker died at the beginning of the summer and got it repaired under warranty. Unfortunately, the repair shop didn't specify what they repaired but if I had to guess; something melted inside the unit. Was playing during rehearsal and suddenly the volume gradually dropped until barely noticeable. Don't remember if it smelled though, but mine crapped out anyway so I guess there might be a chance. Don't know if it was colloidal or if the EV's are somewhat suicidal. :)

I have used a ZLX12P for my AX8 and as part of my rehearsal PA for about 2 years. Never had a problem with a burning smell.

Back
Top Bottom