Fractal Ultra used while studying with Steve Vai. "The Animal"

Shin Chan

Hi All,

I hope this is OK to post. I did the recordings with the Fractal Audio Ultra. Here is my arrangement of the song The Animal. Steve Vai was a teacher of mine for a period of time. In this assignment, take the middle solo to where ever and do things you might not normally do during the improvisation. Actually, Steve's original version had a short middle solo but here I was directed to play way too many notes! The goal was to phrase well and get a "bad" guitar tone. ;)

This was a homework thing Vai gave so I hope no one objects to me showing work with my Ultra.

Here is the link:

The Animal by Aaron Leone on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Regards,

Aaron Leone

Killer playing, and killer tone!

It's quite challenging to blare for 06:50 and keep the listener's attention all along. Yet you did manage to bring in some very interesting phrasing throughout. I like the "too much guitar" reference, though, and agree with you that it's too many notes.

Question: around the 06:00 mark (or thereabouts), there's a brief passage with harmonized guitar. Is that using the Ultra's harmonizer, or any of the other possible ways of harmonizing a phrase on a recording?

Share your preset? Please? Not that I could ever play like that, but good tone helps ;-)

Wow, thanks everybody for listening. I know it was long. Vai added more time to have a jam over. I kept thinking- this has to end.

I used the FAS MODERN patch. Reverb at 25.2%. for the solo guitars.

For the main riff I used the same amp with the pitch at -7 a perfect 5th down. I think I backed off on the verb here.

For the harmony guitars at about 6 mins no harmonizer. I played up a perfect 4th from Vai's guitar. So that's pretty much it. Really no tweeks but what was on the Ultra.

Thanks for listening

Aaron

Bravo for the amazing playing and lucky you to be able to have a God for a teacher. Keep up the amazing playing. It was fun to listen to.

Wow, thanks everybody for listening. I know it was long. Vai added more time to have a jam over. I kept thinking- this has to end.

I used the FAS MODERN patch. Reverb at 25.2%. for the solo guitars.

For the main riff I used the same amp with the pitch at -7 a perfect 5th down. I think I backed off on the verb here.

For the harmony guitars at about 6 mins no harmonizer. I played up a perfect 4th from Vai's guitar. So that's pretty much it. Really no tweeks but what was on the Ultra.

Thanks for listening

Aaron

Did you do the Berklee training or something else? How did your lesson come about, if you don't mind me prying. That's amazing.

Back
Top Bottom