Fractal Tutorial - Ambient Parallel Effects

Ok, I have been running my cab after my effects for years so I can split off before the cabs to run into output 2 for my Matrix and Marshall cabs. Marco put the cab in back for a moment to show that it sounds awful. So, how would i keep my cab in front of the effects and split off before the cabs to output 2 and STILL keep my effects? I dont think that is possible.....hmmm..... I would have to double all of the effects on the split output as well, destroying my CPU lol. Thoughts?

I also have NEVER run my looper at the end of the chain like that. I have always run it at the beginning. Now I have to rethink why I do and why you didn't. Just when I thought I knew what I was doing after all these years you pointed me down a whole new road of thinking. Mind Blowing

You could use a stereo cab, but it is not the same effects
Until you use standard guitar cab for monitoring makes no sense you take care of this method because you hear a different sound compared to the sound you drive to the FOH.

Schermata 2022-10-29 alle 18.34.12.png

Spent an hour, couldnt hear much of a difference on my rig with cab before vs after the parallel effects. hmmm.... Guess I'll keep on workin the problem....

I also have NEVER run my looper at the end of the chain like that. I have always run it at the beginning. Now I have to rethink why I do and why you didn't. Just when I thought I knew what I was doing after all these years you pointed me down a whole new road of thinking. Mind Blowing
Where you put the Looper depends on what you want to achieve.

If you want to record something and then play over it, you'll probably want it near the end of your chain because otherwise the playback will be affected by changes in effects you make.

If you use the Looper to dial in tones then you want it near the front of the chain so you can tweak the signal without playing at the same time.

Last edited:
Since I went fractal I always wondered why every preset had effects that you would run thru the effects loop and the out your real cabs (even a combo) are always out after the cab block. I’ve tried to rationalize this with the theory that “input” stuff goes through the amp to the cabs, to post effects like in a studio and then to the PA/monitors.
I have always ran post effect in parallel but I did learn from Marc and Matthew Dale to change my mix to 100% and change from “thru” to “mute in”…never thought about the why before. Went back to presets I did and changed and there it is! Love FAS for making me learn stuff after all these years!

Thanks Marco for your explanations about parallel ambient effects. I'm using it this way for years, but your explanations made it more understandable for me.
I got another question. I tried to rebuild your preset with all preferences I saw on your video (including the cab). I also used a humbucker guitar – but the Brit 800 never sounds as powerful as in your video. What are you doing to give the guitar tone so much (tube like) power? Is your guitar plugged in right into the Axe FX? Any post processing? Or an other changes in the amp setting (EQ etc.)? Your guitar in Axe FX sounds like using a real amp, my playing (and I am not a beginner) sounds like a much weaker rebuild of a tube amp. Any suggestions?

Thanks Marco for your explanations about parallel ambient effects. I'm using it this way for years, but your explanations made it more understandable for me.
I got another question. I tried to rebuild your preset with all preferences I saw on your video (including the cab). I also used a humbucker guitar – but the Brit 800 never sounds as powerful as in your video. What are you doing to give the guitar tone so much (tube like) power? Is your guitar plugged in right into the Axe FX? Any post processing? Or an other changes in the amp setting (EQ etc.)? Your guitar in Axe FX sounds like using a real amp, my playing (and I am not a beginner) sounds like a much weaker rebuild of a tube amp. Any suggestions?
in the video I was using the last FW 21 beta
to be honest I did not make so many tweaks on amp and cab.
I tun my AXE FX directly to the Audio interface (Audient ID14) with no post production.
Guitar is a Vintage, very cheap :D

in the video I was using the last FW 21 beta
to be honest I did not make so many tweaks on amp and cab.
I tun my AXE FX directly to the Audio interface (Audient ID14) with no post production.
Guitar is a Vintage, very cheap :D
And anything else between guitar and Axe FX? I'm still astonished that your sound is so much different to mine using same amp and cab.

This tutorial is in Italian but you can activate the english translation
If it is interesting I can make it in english

I would like to see a similar video in English – I tried to follow your explanations with the translator (to German and English) but it was not really helpful. There are to many technical words in your video.

@Marco Fanton , Really enjoyed this, thank you, and the stereo seperation is great when you follow these steps in the video. i have 2 questions please.
1) I use FM3 stereo out to main board. Should main PA board be panned hard right and hard left ? or ?
2) I use a Single FRFR cab (A Friedman ASC ) for self monitoring. How would you configure the FM3 to this FRFR monitor ? with Stereo to main as above.
thank you.

@Marco Fanton ,

Wasn't able to watch the live stream, so thanks very much for making the recording available. I found the video incredibly helpful, and will be very excited to put some of the simpler ideas into action. You explained everything very well, and with convincing amount of Italian passion.

Now if only I had a stereo FRFR pair I could check it all out with... [Just kidding, I recently got a pair of MF.10 from G66 UK, and I love them, especially now I have some "tilt back" amp stands to go with them.]

@teddis, for Q1, yes, 2 channels panned hard left and hard right on the main PA board. For Q2, your own monitor, probably best to sum left and right to a single channel to make sure you don't miss anything. However if you use any "stereo wide" phase reversed effects (and I'm thinking specifically of the 2290 delay), you will need to additionally delay one of the signals a little, or the phases of the delay will cancel one another back out again, resulting in audible stereo delay, but nothing on your mono monitor.

Best

Liam

Back
Top Bottom