Fractal.....still the best IMO

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Been on a little excursion trying some new tech recently. I have been posting on here about them and wanted a recap with my typical full circle back to Fractal. Recently it was the NDSP Quad Cortex and the Ampero II Stage.

QUAD CORTEX:
The QC was great size wise, but hated the layout and the sounds all sounded similar to me. Too much "sauce" on things and made everything sound fake too. The forum was NO WHERE near what Fractal's is. Editor was not that visually pleasing and was confusing. But I did like them having a flagship on the floor and wish we had an FM12 or the such.

AMPERO II STAGE:
Very impressed. Touch Screen was awesome, but not needed. The bluetooth app was brilliant and the way Fractal should go IMO. Made things a breeze. While not as good as Fractal by a mile, for $700 it was fun and perfect for backup. But, lack of forum support and info online to help was frustrating. I could not figure out how to assign the wah to come on automatically. That was main issue and I finally gave up. Hotone never called me back. I also found some bugs in system for me.

SELLING BOTH UNITS. I have been using modeling platforms going back to the Boss GT-5 and the Line 6 AxSys combo. I know what I am looking for and typically how to navigate quickly. Does not take me long to decipher what I like and don't like.

Fractal is the difference between buying cookie dough at store in a tub or getting all the separate ingredients and making from scratch. Both will get the job done.....one you will immensely enjoy more though. You discern differences in sound and feel with Fractal.

What I have learned is that Fractal gives you way more options and that is not a bad thing. I missed having the ability to pretty much do whatever I wanted with Fractal. Kitchen sinks and buttons are important to me. Granted I know the Fractal stuff pretty well as I have been using for a really long time. But their editor is still tops. Visually it is very clear what is doing what. Again BT ability on a Fractal flagship on floor(make water resistant!) and that will be my ultimate rig.IMG_7673.jpegIMG_8082.jpegIMG_7784.jpeg

Last edited:
Been on a little excursion trying some new tech recently. I have been posting on here about them and wanted a recap with my typical full circle back to Fractal. Recently it was the NDSP Quad Cortex and the Ampero II Stage.

QUAD CORTEX:
The QC was great size wise, but hated the layout and the sounds all sounded similar to me. Too much "sauce" on things and made everything sound fake too. The forum was NO WHERE near what Fractal's is. Editor was not that visually pleasing and was confusing. But I did like them having a flagship on the floor and wish we had an FM12 or the such.

AMPERO II STAGE:
Very impressed. Touch Screen was awesome, but not needed. The bluetooth app was brilliant and the way Fractal should go IMO. Made things a breeze. While not as good as Fractal by a mile, for $700 it was fun and perfect for backup. But, lack of forum support and info online to help was frustrating. I could not figure out how to assign the wah to come on automatically. That was main issue and I finally gave up. Hotone never called me back. I also found some bugs in system for me.

SELLING BOTH UNITS. I have been using modeling platforms going back to the Boss GT-5 and the Line 6 AxSys combo. I know what I am looking for and typically how to navigate quickly. Does not take me long to decipher what I like and don't like.

Fractal is the difference between buying cookie dough at store in a tub or getting all the separate ingredients and making from scratch. Both will get the job done.....one you will immensely enjoy more though. You discern differences in sound and feel with Fractal.

What I have learned is that Fractal gives you way more options and that is not a bad thing. I missed having the ability to pretty much do whatever I wanted with Fractal. Kitchen sinks and buttons are important to me. Granted I know the Fractal stuff pretty well as I have been using for a really long time. But their editor is still tops. Visually it is very clear what is doing what. Again BT ability on a Fractal flagship on floor(make water resistant!) and that will be my ultimate rig.
Thanks for the run down.

Fractal was the GAS killer for me when it comes to modelers, amps and pedals. The one excetion was my Carvin Steve Vai VLD1 Legacy preamp which I got for 100 bucks off when they went belly up. Those damn guitars keep tempting me, though I need another one like a hole in the head.

I had several Marshall Code Amps and they could also be used via the Bluetooth APP: The operation was terrible on a smartphone and I was happy to get an editor on the PC from FAS. But I would like Linux support because with Windows 10 I always have to wait forever until all the windows updates are finally installed.

You were expecting a phone call from Ho Tone?
Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

I would not wish Bluetooth on my worst enemy. It’s just unreliable and just a gimmick.

Note that you can buy Bluetooth adapters to add it to your rig. Meaning there’s no need for Fractal to solve this problem and focus on the best modeling in the business.

How did you like the tones on Stage 2? I am using HR MX5 as my backup rig now but am quite interested in Stage 2 as it can run two separate inputs for vocal and guitar

I would not wish Bluetooth on my worst enemy. It’s just unreliable and just a gimmick.

Note that you can buy Bluetooth adapters to add it to your rig. Meaning there’s no need for Fractal to solve this problem and focus on the best modeling in the business.
BT worked flawless on the Hotone

Not sure what terrible BT experience you've had, but I use BT earbuds nearly every day while I exercise, with almost no trouble.

Bluetooth is unreliable when its done poorly, like the Universal Audio Pedals. The Fender Tone Master Pro bluetooth works incredibly well, connects instantly every time and is great to just stream backing tracks if you want to play along with a song, drum beat, youtube, etc. They just released apps this week too and they work exceptionally well. Theres nothing remotely gimmicky about it. Its useful and you dont need a computer all the time. Ive also been using Bluetooth midi for probably 5 years with CME products and havent had an issue.

Theres diminishing gains to be achieved with modelling sound quality moving forwards, its already pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing under the same circumstances. Im not saying they should stop, but it should not be their sole focus. User interface is a big thing going forwards. I still really like using a pedalboard in a lot of situations because its easy to just bend over and adjust something quickly and easily. I can do it on the fractal because I know the UI well but its still not an enjoyable experience.

There is always the risk that the UI will be even worse afterwards or that many people will no longer want to get used to a new UI. I hope Fractal doesn't risk that. Never touch a running system.

There is always the risk that the UI will be even worse afterwards or that many people will no longer want to get used to a new UI. I hope Fractal doesn't risk that. Never touch a running system.
Sounds like a pretty low risk. Tech companies that fear change are left in the dust. Blackberry at one point had the best UI and huge market share too but clung onto the exact reason you stated for too long.

I’m not sure how much worse it could get when you want to adjust something then having to get to the layout, scroll to the block, enter it, and page through screens and use arrow keys to get around. As I said. It works but I don’t think just working should be anyone’s goal for UI design.

I think unnecessary bad changes just to be able to show something new at a trade fair are a much bigger risk. Who really prefers touch screens ... but I'm happy with my FM3/AXEIII, well for a new device, I don't care.

I think unnecessary bad changes just to be able to show something new at a trade fair are a much bigger risk.
Weird. I don’t think having a better interface has anything to do with a trade show or how making something easier/faster to navigate would ever be considered a bad change. They don’t have to reinvent the wheel. Lots of low hanging fruit.

I don’t think [...] how making something easier/faster to navigate would ever be considered a bad change.
Agreed. Good UI should reduce the steps to do anything (or the most likely things) without then making it more complicated to remember how.

Who really prefers touch screens
Like them or not, for nav and some other things, touchscreens excel over dedicated buttons and knobs. For other things, not so much.

There always can be UI improvement, whether old-school or 'new-fangled'.

Last edited:
Fractal was the GAS killer for me when it comes to modelers, amps and pedals. The one excetion was my Carvin Steve Vai VLD1 Legacy preamp which I got for 100 bucks off when they went belly up. Those damn guitars keep tempting me, though I need another one like a hole in the head.
Go to diamondlifegear and look at the Guitar Hanger MX system! If the studs in my old house wasn't 80 year old Oak they'd probably collapse.

Back
Top Bottom