Fractal School - How to upgrade a preset to the new Firmware

@Marco Fanton , I had not been watching your videos. :( Tragic loss for me. Time to catch up. I've downloaded all your free presets on G66. Still working on "discovering" them, but love what I am hearing so far. And by the way... your English is perfectly understandable and the reasons for using whichever format you choose makes sense. You gotta do you! :) Ciao

Last edited:
Nice, great choice of subject, thanks Marco!

6am on a Sat is just inconceivable for me, but like @walnutzz, I will definitely be checking out the entire session after morning coffee!

Ask lots of good questions in the Q&A peeps! ;)

I know the time is not conveniente for USA guys but I do my live streams as tutorial who can be used in any time.
I suspend any interaction during the tutorial to squeeze the time as much as possible.
Q&A will be only at the end and of course you can place your question below the vide.

Marco, that is a great tutorial. I tend to rush into just resetting blocks, and then never really knowing why I prefer the new firmware version. Your step by step method makes complete sense, as the changes become much more objective.

Lately my experience has been the same as yours, in that I no longer feel the need to do much tweaking of EQ controls after I have reset the amp block.

Your checks on Drive and Compressor blocks remind me that I might not have reset some of those for quite a few firmware upgrades!

Very good, very clear, and I think helpful for all Fractal users, from almost complete novice to very experienced.

Liam

Marco, another brilliant tutorial! I find your tutorials especially helpful, you seem to hit on the questions and concerns that are currently on my mind. I've had it explained in depth, as have many others, but there's something about your tutorial that made this all crystal clear and "crossed the T's and dotted the i's for me". Gives me the confidence that I'm doing it correctly and not botching something else in the process.

This was remarkable in that it really shows off just how much Cliff and crew put into these updates to the algorithms and how amazing they are just in default mode post-update! The 800 was a perfect choice for the tutorial for me, it also made clear how much more organic the feel and sound get with each iteration, it's just amazing. Helps us all get the most out of the Fractal gear for sure!

Also, you need to know that:

- I personally find your accent and cadence both charming and calming. For real, I find myself smiling and relaxing, which sets up the session to really learn the concepts you're putting out there. You've obviously worked hard on speaking English, and as many have confirmed, you communicate just fine, brother.

- Your spoken English is better and more proper than probably half the entire population of the United States. Seriously.

Thanks again Marco, I really do enjoy these tutorials you do. I'm grateful you take the time to do them in English, and record them, so those of us outside your local time zone can take full advantage of these lessons on our own time.

I'm off to confidently update some presets, be well and have a wonderful rest of the weekend!

Marco, that is a great tutorial. I tend to rush into just resetting blocks, and then never really knowing why I prefer the new firmware version. Your step by step method makes complete sense, as the changes become much more objective.

Lately my experience has been the same as yours, in that I no longer feel the need to do much tweaking of EQ controls after I have reset the amp block.

Your checks on Drive and Compressor blocks remind me that I might not have reset some of those for quite a few firmware upgrades!

Very good, very clear, and I think helpful for all Fractal users, from almost complete novice to very experienced.

Liam
Thank you.

Marco, another brilliant tutorial! I find your tutorials especially helpful, you seem to hit on the questions and concerns that are currently on my mind. I've had it explained in depth, as have many others, but there's something about your tutorial that made this all crystal clear and "crossed the T's and dotted the i's for me". Gives me the confidence that I'm doing it correctly and not botching something else in the process.

This was remarkable in that it really shows off just how much Cliff and crew put into these updates to the algorithms and how amazing they are just in default mode post-update! The 800 was a perfect choice for the tutorial for me, it also made clear how much more organic the feel and sound get with each iteration, it's just amazing. Helps us all get the most out of the Fractal gear for sure!

Also, you need to know that:

- I personally find your accent and cadence both charming and calming. For real, I find myself smiling and relaxing, which sets up the session to really learn the concepts you're putting out there. You've obviously worked hard on speaking English, and as many have confirmed, you communicate just fine, brother.

- Your spoken English is better and more proper than probably half the entire population of the United States. Seriously.

Thanks again Marco, I really do enjoy these tutorials you do. I'm grateful you take the time to do them in English, and record them, so those of us outside your local time zone can take full advantage of these lessons on our own time.

I'm off to confidently update some presets, be well and have a wonderful rest of the weekend!
Wow! Thank you very much.
Your comment makes me happy 😊

Thank you for the tutorial, Marco.

I normally use FracTool to reset the Amp Block, because you can choose which parameters you want to left untouched. e.g.: Gain/B/M/T/Master, Output EQ, etc. It can also be used for batch reset any range of presets.

Here is a list of the parameters that I select to preserve:

01.png
02.png
03.png
04.png

Thank you for the tutorial, Marco.

I normally use FracTool to reset the Amp Block, because you can choose which parameters you want to left untouched. e.g.: Gain/B/M/T/Master, Output EQ, etc. It can also be used for batch reset any range of presets….

Uhm … as I demonstrate the new algorithm changes hardly the amp model so it makes no sense to keep the same eq than before.
In my opinion of course.

If you already have a new firmware you cannot compare how it really sounded in previous version of firmware, unless you downgrade firmware right?

If you already have a new firmware you cannot compare how it really sounded in previous version of firmware, unless you downgrade firmware right?
Sherlock Holmes Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

The most accurate way to compare would be to record using the old FW on DAW, with a separate dry signal track for reamp, and do A/B comparison with the new FW reamping through the same preset.

Last edited:
Uhm … as I demonstrate the new algorithm changes hardly the amp model so it makes no sense to keep the same eq than before.
In my opinion of course.

If you reset presets that are using Output EQ without preserving it, you may lose their intended character.

Eg.: this is factory preset "Petrucci Rig". All bands will go to zero after a reset, and it will lose its mojo.

1719053886283.png

Last edited:
If you reset presets that are using Output EQ without preserving it, you may lose their intended character.

Eg.: this is factory preset "Petrucci Rig". All bands will go to zero after a reset, and it will lose its mojo.

View attachment 141949
To the best of my knowledge, no amps default their output EQ to anything other than flat. If that's the case, no new firmware will apply different settings for it, so zeroing it out for new firmware is unnecessary. It's unfortunate that the only mechanism we have to get other possibly new defaults does that, potentially making radical changes to our presets, for no benefit.

Back
Top Bottom