Honestly I can't understand, can someone explain why:

• Axe-Fx III mk II (USA): 2.299,99 $
  • Exchange rate $/€: 1.13
  • In €: 2.031,97 €
  • Axe-Fx III mk II (EU): 2.699,00 €
  • In $: 3.055,00 $

That is 755$ - 667€ more.
Simple, Fractal does not want to sell to EU customers directly, for whatever reasons and forces you to buy through GGG and GGG only. Who, while providing awesome service, are a monopoly and can and do ask what they want. You can chalk it up to import duties only, as FAS fanboys often do, but I did the math and if I was able to order from FAS directly even with import duties I could still save me hundreds of Euro's. I am willing to run the risk of not being able to call upon GGG's awesome service, it would have been nice to have that option. Choice being the foundation of capitalism after all. Sadly FAS doesn't care.

That's the way it is and why I won't upgrade from my Axe II for the forseeable future. Not until I come across a good 2nd hand deal. And truth be told, the main reason why I am still here, the Axe II still sounds awesome as it is, so I'm not in a hurry to upgrade to begin with.

So it's fractals fault that an EU dealer rips you off? Right, makes perfect sense. I'm not a fanboy, hate that term to death. I just happen to deplore illogical statements. Also, they are "forcing" you to buy? Get real!

Last edited:
When I buy synthesizer stuff made in Europe it costs me more here in the states than what people are paying in Europe, even when they factor in VAT etc.

Just so happens folks in the US have better pricing as FAS is a US company

Maybe Cliff will consider moving the company to France or something......

So it's fractals fault that an EU dealer rips you off? Right, makes perfect sense. I'm not a fanboy, hate that term to death. I just happen to deplore illogical statements for personal satisfaction. Also, they are "forcing" you to buy? Get real!
Actually yes it is - it's not an EU dealer.

It's the only way to buy if you're in EU or the UK - different thing entirely

FAS sells directly to US/CAN (sadly, not Mexico. Y'know, North America), if they were selling through retailers/distributors i.e. Sweetwater or what used to be Guitar Center, prices would be more like EU. Retailers/dealers/distributors happen to profit from their sales ;) and sometimes is up to 30% (not including shipping, VAT, etc...). That how it works, really...

I used to think the same was as OP. And I contemplated having an american friend buy an Axe FX3 for me and send it to me. But when shipping and VAT is added, the savings are really not that high. Shipping from G66 is cheap and fast. Also, I really didn't want to have to ship the unit to USA, if it ever needs repair. So I bought the FX3 right when Cygnus (non-beta) was released. G66 updated the firmware and shipped the unit very quickly.

So I went from "I'm never going to buy the unit when forced to buy it from an overpriced EU dealer!" to "It's actually not that much more for a lot more convenience!", and I don't regret it :)

2 important factors that may be overlooked:
1: VAT in Europe is significantly higher than US sales tax. Here in the Netherlands it is 21%. The price on the Fractal site does not display tax but I think staat and local tax is around 10%?
2: Warranty, in US this is 1 year and you have to pay for an additional 2 years

Let’s take the FM3 as an example:
Price at Fractal $1099 (at normal price)
Tax $ 110 (at 10%)
Shipping $ 50 (estimate)
Warranty $109,99
Total $ 1369 = €1211,50 (at exchange rate 1,13)

Price at G66 € 1349 including VAT
Shipping € 5 (assuming <10 kg weight)
Total €1354

So total difference €150 which not too terrible when you take into account estimated import duties of 5% or €50.

Come on over, see the sights, we're wide open ... And I/we feel the same when buying imported stuff that costs "much less" across the pond.

I buy what I want. If I want it, I pay. Simple.................
This has come up before many times and it is as old now as it was back then. No one has gun to your head to buy product "whatever"! period!
Just sayin..............

Last edited:

Thats because we get the handwired ones over here in Europe! :cool:

The simple explanation is that you live in the EU and this is what happens when you vote to live in an economic system like that, where sellers can't market directly. Everyone's got their hands out and they've rigged that game to get those hands filled.

It's more than just the exchange rate and a markup. Units are made in China then shipped to the US. Then the units earmarked for the EU market are shipped again. That's an additional cost. Shipping costs are increasing with inflation (which is skyrocketing right now).

Then the reseller, G66, is an additional cost center. There is people and effort there to be paid for to get a Fractal into your little hands.

Welcome to global economics.

The simple explanation is that you live in the EU and this is what happens when you vote to live in an economic system like that, where sellers can't market directly
I agree with most of your posts, however it is not correct that sellers cannot market directly to customers in Europe.

All products sold in Europe must comply with European regulations and must get CE marking. Also, the seller must have a European Authorized Representative. This can be a local office in Europe or, like what Fractal did, outsource that to G66.

Oh another topic about discovering shopping overseas...

Gl4th, did you already buy a music man guitar or a mesa boogie amp in europe ? Or more mainstream an american fender ?
Guess what, you have to pay your local VAT on the purchase, that's 101.
Then you have in fractal's case, a german importer that manages the axefx's shipping and offer you a european warranty that prevents you from having to send the item back to USA (probably at your expense).

Watch closely prices of american stuff in paris, tokyo etc...the entire world pays the high price, mostly because US price isn't mirroring its tax system.

Exemple :
Music man majesty hydrospace on sweetwater : 5499$, with let's say a 5% VAT to add (275$) => 5774$ = 5115€
Music man majesty hydrospace on thomann : 6899€ with waiting list (including french 20% VAT and thomann delivery + return policy/warranty)

That's how it is, if it's not okay, then let's forget about foreign gear :)

One word: VAT. In my whereabouts, it’s 21%, none of which goes to Fractal or G66. Add in some import costs and the distributor’s share, and you’d almost wonder why it’s not even more expensive over here…

The simple explanation is that you live in the EU and this is what happens when you vote to live in an economic system like that, where sellers can't market directly. Everyone's got their hands out and they've rigged that game to get those hands filled.

It's more than just the exchange rate and a markup. Units are made in China then shipped to the US. Then the units earmarked for the EU market are shipped again. That's an additional cost. Shipping costs are increasing with inflation (which is skyrocketing right now).

Then the reseller, G66, is an additional cost center. There is people and effort there to be paid for to get a Fractal into your little hands.

Welcome to global economics.
Well, sellers can market directly in Europe. There's no law against that. It a question of the sales strategy of the producer.

Personally I don't mind the prices, given the excellent service of G66.

Back
Top Bottom