Fractal Noise Reducer vs noiseless single-coils

What sounds more like a proper single coil?

• A top notch hum-cancelling single-coil-sized pickup

Votes: 23 82.1%
  • The Fractal Noise Reduction algorithm cranked way high on an actual single-coil pickup

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

sumitagarwal

Inspired
Curious what folks' thoughts are on using the Fractal Noise Reducer (not the gate) versus good single-coil-sized humbuckers, particularly for bright mid-gain tones.

The north star I'm going to refer to here is Dylan Carlson's sound. If you listen to The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull, it's the rare example where you've got a fairly mid/high gain tone but with very sparse composition which is huge and open with tons of notes ringing out through their decay, and so any noise would really be under a magnifying glass.

Dylan uses DiMarzio single-coil-sized rail humbuckers. People will argue they don't quite have the single-coil high-end, but they do well, and they are at least as quiet as most traditional humbuckers. Of course back in 2008 the Fractal Noise Reducer algorithm wasn't available, and I'm guessing he's still an analog guy anyway.

Long story to get to this question: both hum-cancelling pickups and cranked noise reduction algorithms affect tone, especially the high-end. If you really want the crystalline single coil sound with no noise, your best bet is to build a room around it. But assuming that both hum-cancelling pickups and noise reducing algorithms "mess" with the high-end and attack compared to traditional single coils.... which approach leaves more of that intact?

You left out a crucial third option: an actual single coil in a guitar with a dummy coil circuit, like those that come in Suhr guitars for example.

A couple options:
https://www.ilitchelectronics.com/product/bpncs-fender-stratocaster/
https://ulbrickmusic.com.au/noise-reduction-systems
Legitimate option but I'm not in the market for a Suhr and unlikely to install either of those devices in a guitar (especially since I don't play my trem guitars).

Overall I think it's a great option against noiseless pickups, but doesn't address the question here which is about solving the issue via hardware versus software

In a live situation noise cancelling pickup are the best choice. In the studio you just find the spot in the room that gives you the least amount of noise. Using extreme settings on the noise gate never sounds acceptable to me.

In a live situation noise cancelling pickup are the best choice. In the studio you just find the spot in the room that gives you the least amount of noise. Using extreme settings on the noise gate never sounds acceptable to me.
Have you tried the noise reducer instead of the noise gate? To my ears it's pretty transparent set as high as ~-40 dB threshold (which isn't always enough to tackle bad noise)

Have you tried the noise reducer instead of the noise gate? To my ears it's pretty transparent set as high as ~-40 dB threshold (which isn't always enough to tackle bad noise)
Yes I have. The noise reduction is always a balancing act between cutting noise and choking out the notes. I mainly use the gate in the input block with the Threshold at -38, Ratio 2.72, Attack 2, release 100.

I use Fishman Fluence low impedance Single Coils PUs in a Tele and in a Strat and totally happy with them.
Not absolutely noiseless but way more than a normal high impedance PU! Also no treble loss when lowering the Volume Pot and the possibility to switch to different Sounds.

Without some form of dummy coil system (Suhr, Ilitch, etc...) you're not going to eliminate all 60 cycle hum. I've recently started using the Noise Reducer input noise gate type and have been pleased with the results with P90s. It almost seems to act like a notch filter to some extent. If you want to eliminate as much as possible, noiseless single coils would be the direction you'll likely need to go.

One thing to keep in mind that no matter how great they sound, there is going some compromise on the feel with noiseless. I have the Kinman Blues set, Dimarzio Virtual Vintage ( 54 Pro, Heavy Blues and Virtual Solo) as well as Fralin Split Blades. The Kinmans are probably the best sounding, but The Dimarzio Virtual Vintage are surprisingly close when it comes to retaining the single coil tone. Close enough that I've considered selling the Kinmans and getting more Dimarzios for a couple of other guitars.

I like Fender N3s, Gen4 and Gen 5s, Mojotone Quietcoils, SD Vintage rails. I don't like many others.
They all have their own thing going. And it's up to personal taste. You got to try some out and some will do it for you, other don't.

Fender N3s are fat, their highs sound natural but these highs could be more prominent. And I don't like them with 250k pots, I prefer 500k. Great though.
Gen4 got more highs, but they are less fat and sound more modern in a way.
Gen 5 got good highs but also sound a bit traditional. Best solution so far. They don't offer 5's with black covers...arg!
Quietcoils sound totally different, compact pronounced high mids and a stiff and stable signal...cutting like a tele.
The SD vintage rails is a surprise as most rails can't hide they are humbuckers after all, but this one is special.
There are also good stiff like Z-coils and Fralins out there and stuff like that, but these are hard to get.

The V Quiet system on Tom Anderson guitars is incredible (Suhr silent system as well). To me using that with real single coils is the best option having had lots of noiseless pickups

I never liked the plastic tone that the fender noiseless single coils gives, I prefer using a noise gate

Fender's Noiseless weren't so hot, but there are a few out there that are really good....

There are also good stiff like Z-coils and Fralins out there and stuff like that, but these are hard to get.

Fralins aren't hard to get at all. Heck, half of my orders, I ended up speaking with Lindy himself. Their Split Blade and Split Steel Pole pickups are fantastic sounding, with the sparkle and spank of a single coil, but no hum. Those, their Hum Free P90s, and Kinman's hum free P90s are the best I've tried....

Last edited:
Where does Lace fit into things these days? Asking for my HH guitars where I'd often want to split the neck. I kinda wish there were options out there for a neck humbucker where one coil could be switched to noiseless stack. I know Ibanez did something like this, but wound super hot.

Back
Top Bottom