Fractal Made it into ToneX

[Nathan]

Inspired
What is it they say, imitation is the biggest form of flattery :tearsofjoy:
These are the skins a user can add as a visual aid to their captured profile in IK ToneX, just added a bunch here

index.png

It's hard to tell exactly, but it seems like a pretty large percentage of the tone models in tonenet are Axe-FX and Kemper captures.

It's hard to tell exactly, but it seems like a pretty large percentage of the tone models in tonenet are Axe-FX and Kemper captures.
I made one from a splawn as a test and it came out pretty good... but RIP when you want to tweak anything lol.
I also did the same test on GuitarML Proteus which is the same underlying tech as ToneX and got basically the same result. The tech is pretty damn reasonable but eh, I guess I'm a modeller guy.

Mono in is just... stupid especially since it's designed to go on a pedalboard.

I made one from a splawn as a test and it came out pretty good... but RIP when you want to tweak anything lol.
I also did the same test on GuitarML Proteus which is the same underlying tech as ToneX and got basically the same result. The tech is pretty damn reasonable but eh, I guess I'm a modeller guy.
I wondered if that was the case. So it's just like Kemper in that sense... you get the snapshot and maybe 5% usable in either direction.

I wondered if that was the case. So it's just like Kemper in that sense... you get the snapshot and maybe 5% usable in either direction.
Yeah I dont want to go off on a profiler vs modeller debate around here (lol). I never owned a kemper or any profiler and when ToneX was announced I was over the moon at finally having this functionality at my finger tips. After flicking through captures, testing my own with 50/50 results. I have a handful of very good/competent results and a couple from 3rd party captures that are good... and then the other 90% are crud to my ears

Isn’t the amp block in the Axe also mono in ?

For that matter, isn’t pretty much darn near any amp in a box type pedals ?

Reactions: JTI
Seems like they're really dancing around any kind of infringement issues. Other than the grab handles, that looks nothing like a Fractal. And what Plexi ever had tubes & transformers visible from the front?

I ordered a Tone X pedal just to see what the hype is all about. Only $399. so not a big hit on the wallet. Comes in next week

Isn’t the amp block in the Axe also mono in ?

For that matter, isn’t pretty much darn near any amp in a box type pedals ?
Hmmm... I'd have to test that. I think each block in the Axe III is capable of passing true stereo, but I'm not 100% on that. Regardless, you can easily run two amps in the Fractal.

UA amp pedals are stereo in/out (Ruby, Dream, etc...). HX Stomp is also stereo in/out... just to name a couple of the most popular pedalboard friendly amp emulators.

Hmmm... I'd have to test that. I think each block in the Axe III is capable of passing true stereo, but I'm not 100% on that. Regardless, you can easily run two amps in the Fractal.

UA amp pedals are stereo in/out (Ruby, Dream, etc...). HX Stomp is also stereo in/out... just to name a couple of the most popular pedalboard friendly amp emulators.

I’m 99.9% sure the amp block is mono and the FM3 has only one amp block…..

I would also be surprised if the UA pedals are actually processing true stereo and not just summing to mono.

If they don’t, how do you even access the setting for each stereo channel as you’d be running dual instances of the amp.

I was more referring to amp in a box pedals like the bogners, j rocket stuff etc, basically stuff you’d see someone running on a pedal board to emulate a Marshall or what not.

Don’t see two any people running stereo dirt pedals on a typical pedal board. Stereo post amp or drive, sure, great for delays, reverb and such, but usually the drives, fuzz, and stuff are still mono, or at least on most boards I see.

And again, it’s just a $399 pedal, or assuming the deal works, $299 with discount code, so I think they might tell you to buy two if you want to run stereo/dual mono rigs lol

I’m 99.9% sure the amp block is mono and the FM3 has only one amp block…..

I would also be surprised if the UA pedals are actually processing true stereo and not just summing to mono.

If they don’t, how do you even access the setting for each stereo channel as you’d be running dual instances of the amp.

I was more referring to amp in a box pedals like the bogners, j rocket stuff etc, basically stuff you’d see someone running on a pedal board to emulate a Marshall or what not.

Don’t see two any people running stereo dirt pedals on a typical pedal board. Stereo post amp or drive, sure, great for delays, reverb and such, but usually the drives, fuzz, and stuff are still mono, or at least on most boards I see.

And again, it’s just a $399 pedal, or assuming the deal works, $299 with discount code, so I think they might tell you to buy two if you want to run stereo/dual mono rigs lol
I'm not aware of Bogner's or JRocket's amp in a box pedal, unless you're referring to overdrives designed to sound like amps? I don't consider those in the same category since they don't have any cab/IR emulation. Maybe a preamp pedal, but not an amp emulation. I also don't know anyone running stereo dirt, but anyone with a stereo delay and/or reverb on their pedalboard is either running stereo amps or wants to. Unless they haven't experienced stereo yet, and then it's just a matter of time.

From the UA website:

Mono and stereo connections​

Your UAFX pedal senses which jacks are connected and adjusts the internal signal routing automatically. Stereo inputs are processed in true stereo, and output as either stereo or mono depending on the connected inputs.

Ax3 amp / drive blocks are mono and will collapse incoming stereo to mono - we need 2 amp or drive blocks with input select L and R respectively and panned hard L / R to maintain full stereo thru drive or amp blocks.

I have Strymon Iridium that is full stereo also maintaining full stereo separation thru distortion, which I found unusual for an amp/cabir only pedal.

I used to be stuck on dual hard panned L/R amps but I think it was a crutch I was using while not that skilled in dialling in good distortion sounds or dissatisfied with them somehow (stereo separation heals all lol!). In addition, I had the idea that pre effects sounded better in full stereo with full stereo separation retained through the distortion stages - but a while ago I began to appreciate more, the pleasing effect of pulsy / wavy mono mod fx into mono distorted stages. So now I've gone back to traditional mono only routing up to and including drives / amps, and then stereo after - life is simple again / no crutches needed - I think the Axfx modelling improvements over the past year or so has also gotten me off of dual hard panned amps - a single amp block in mono + dialed in - sounds great.

Last edited:
Ax3 amp / drive blocks are mono and will collapse incoming stereo to mono - we need 2 amp or drive blocks with input select L and R respectively and panned hard L / R to maintain full stereo thru drive or amp blocks.

I have Strymon Iridium that is full stereo also maintaining full stereo separation thru distortion, which I found unusual for an amp/cabir only pedal.

I used to be stuck on dual hard panned L/R amps but I think it was a crutch I was using while not that skilled in dialling in good distortion sounds or dissatisfied with them somehow (stereo separation heals all lol!). In addition, I had the idea that pre effects sounded better in full stereo with full stereo separation retained through the distortion stages - but a while ago I began to appreciate more, the pleasing effect of pulsy / wavy mono mod fx into mono distorted stages. So now I've gone back to traditional mono only routing up to and including drives / amps, and then stereo after - life is simple again / no crutches needed
Thanks for clarifying that, I couldn't remember if the amp block had L/R/Stereo options.

As far as stereo, I don't see it as a crutch, haha. In fact, only stereo effects are actually stereo... your guitar signal remains mono (or, technically, dual mono since there is no difference between the L/R sides of your dry guitar signal). This is easy to test. Run mono, then stereo. Your dry guitar tone will remain centered between the two amps (unless you add a stereo effect that mixes the dry signal out to some extent, like chorus, or you have a phasing issue).

When I started running stereo, I did it with two amps (a Matchless and something else). Now that I have Axe III, I want to stay authentic to how that sounded with effects in front of the amps. Definitely not a crutch, I just like the way delay and reverb hit the amp.

I used to be stuck on dual hard panned L/R amps but I think it was a crutch I was using while not that skilled in dialling in good distortion sounds or dissatisfied with them somehow (stereo separation heals all lol!). In addition, I had the idea that pre effects sounded better in full stereo with full stereo separation retained through the distortion stages - but a while ago I began to appreciate more, the pleasing effect of pulsy / wavy mono mod fx into mono distorted stages. So now I've gone back to traditional mono only routing up to and including drives / amps, and then stereo after - life is simple again / no crutches needed - I think the Axfx modelling improvements over the past year or so has also gotten me off of dual hard panned amps - a single amp block in mono + dialed in - sounds great.
And here I was thinking all that practicing was making me play better, only to find out it's the crutch of my dual amps!!

I heard you like you like modeling?

so here's some modeling on your modeling!

in all seriousness what tone did they capture from fractal? the FAS amps?

Back
Top Bottom