Fractal 'clippy' ?

I saw somewhere on the forum a couple weeks ago that the status bar at the bottom of Axe-Edit was made with the intention to have helpful notes but was never implemented. That seems like a less intrusive way to help but still a lot of work to add/maintain.

A suggestion I'd have to add more help with the least amount of development is to have a help button on blocks or parameters somehow that link to the existing manual and/or block guide at that specific location. At my day job, we have a diagnostic tool that plugs into our product. If there's an error code, you can click on it and it pops up the service manual to the page that explains the code and recommended troubleshooting steps. I'm envisioning something like that.

That still might be more work than it's worth, but if anything, it seems like it would be a good happy medium?

What would be kinda cool is a small (very small) link in each block to its appropriate blocks guide page. Not a horrible idea.

View attachment 97542

Okay, this isn't exactly a serious wish, so I'm putting it in general discussion.... but at the same time... there is a serious point here.

In plugins like the Fabfilter suite you will often get a nice user experience where controls are given informative tool-tips and you get a bit of a walkthrough the plugin. Then you've got things like Izotope Neutron and Ozone, where you can follow a brief assistant process to dial in the plugin.

So what if Axe Edit had something like that?

It could start off with a simple "What do you want to do?" question... with options like:

• Tame my low-end
  • Make it sound less harsh
  • Clean up the noise floor
  • Boost the amp
etc, etc.

And each question would then lead to a nice breadcrumb trail experience, where Axe Edit takes you through the interface and tells you what controls to move, what they do, what they relate to in the real world, and what the typical effects of a control are.

It doesn't seem like such a bad thing to teach people about bright caps and master volume poweramp saturation in this way, rather than people having to develop their Google-fu or come here or TGP and have to sift through thread after thread. The Wiki is good... but it isn't intuitive.

There may be a case for adding some sort of smart wizard to Axe Edit to assist users who need a little helping hand.

But on the other hand, Clippy was an annoying a-hole. So there is that....

Brought to you from the land of sleep dep.
These sound like great WIKI pages for the community to create.

Back
Top Bottom