Fractal AXE FX III + ?????? (closest Metallica sound)

frac77tal

Hi there,

I decided to go after a Fractal AXE FX III trying to achieve that beloved Metallica Sound. Options would be:

Fractal + Cab
Fractal + PA Speakers

Which one is more suitable? Any recommendation?

Guitar -> Fractal > ????

(also Mesa Boogie Cabs out of stock so...)

Any help and recommendation would be appreciated just like specific models/configurations.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Which Metallica sound?

Their current live sound is just AxeFX 3 FRFR signal straight through to the board, with FRFR signal to IEMs. They use power amps and cabs on stage for feedback/feel.

As far as models go, it's the IIC++ and a Diezel as far as I know.

I've included a couple of presets I use which work well with the Het Set pickups. One live sound, one black album.

These are rhythm only.

Attachments

• Metallica Live Cygnus.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 192
  • Metallica Black Album Cygnus.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
For home use, for gigs ? Whatever you choose, if you have a nice preset, and most of all, if you play the song well, there is no problem to have a « Metallica sound » with the axe 3. The most important is the playing, and this for all tone quest .

Which Metallica sound?

Their current live sound is just AxeFX 3 straight through to the board, with power amps and cabs on stage for monitoring.

As far as models go, it's the IIC++ and a Diezel as far as I know.

I've included a couple of presets I use which work well with the Het Set pickups. One live sound, one black album.

These are rhythm only.
but for home setup? Axe FX III + PA Speakers?

For home use, for gigs ? Whatever you choose, if you have a nice preset, and most of all, if you play the song well, there is no problem to have a « Metallica sound » with the axe 3. The most important is the playing, and this for all tone quest .
Home setup, basically at home

More suitable is whatever your personal preference is and depending if you want to spend money or use what you may already have on hand?
Already have a power amp and guitar cab? Yes thats suitable
Want to go get a FRFR speaker? Yes thats suitable, too.

One isn’t really more suitable than the other for what you’re trying to do.

More suitable is whatever your personal preference is and depending if you want to spend money or use what you may already have on hand?
Already have a power amp and guitar cab? Yes thats suitable
Want to go get a FRFR speaker? Yes thats suitable, too.

One isn’t really more suitable than the other for what you’re trying to do.
About to buy de Fractal + whatever sounds better (no cab, no speakers yet) ;)

Thanks mate!

but for home setup? Axe FX III + PA Speakers?

PA speakers, headphones, guitar cab, monitors, wedges. It's up to you mate. I personally go FRFR (like Metallica for instance) which is just a full range speaker, like a PA speaker. So I use the full amp/cab modelling (preamp+poweramp+cab) --> Monitors/PA/Headphones. But other people are very happy using guitar cabinets so they turn off cab modelling, some even run into their FX return on their amp which means turning off poweramp+cab modelling.

Last edited:
PA speakers, headphones, guitar cab, monitors, wedges. It's up to you mate. I personally go FRFR which is just a full range speaker, like a PA speaker. So I use the full amp/cab modelling (preamp+poweramp+cab) -> Monitors. But other people are very happy using guitar cabinets.
thanks for all the information and shares!

It kind of depends on how much room you have, along with what you’re wanting to spend. I say this because if you want the
the absolute best experience with your new Fractal, I would say get both…..an amp and cab for the middle, and a nice set of
FRFR speakers spread wide for stereo…..best of both worlds IMO.

It kind of depends on how much room you have, along with what you’re wanting to spend. I say this because if you want the
the absolute best experience with your new Fractal, I would say get both…..an amp and cab for the middle, and a nice set of
FRFR speakers spread wide for stereo…..best of both worlds IMO.
you are right but looking for the simplest setup. Fractal + ?. I got some ideas from the guys in the thread, now I have to decide.

Thanks

Someone jump and correct me if I'm wrong, but if you go with a cab and power amp don't you need to play the cab loud to push the speakers? Whereas a FRFR, you can get the tone at bedroom levels? I ask because I've got a cab sitting around and have thought about buying a power amp for it. I already have a FRFR monitor/speaker.

Someone jump and correct me if I'm wrong, but if you go with a cab and power amp don't you need to play the cab loud to push the speakers? Whereas a FRFR, you can get the tone at bedroom levels? I ask because I've got a cab sitting around and have thought about buying a power amp for it. I already have a FRFR monitor/speaker.
That’s true. I’m full FRFR and happy doing most of my at home playing through studio monitors. I have an almost unused Matrix GT1000 I’d part with if you’re going the power amp/cab route. PM me if interested.

When you say Axe + cab it makes me think you believe the Axe has a built in power amp. It does not. You will need an amp of some sort. I agree with those who suggest a FRFR powered cab, Personally I switch between a Mackie Thump 15A and a pair of JBL powered PA monitors.

That’s true. I’m full FRFR and happy doing most of my at home playing through studio monitors. I have an almost unused Matrix GT1000 I’d part with if you’re going the power amp/cab route. PM me if interested.
I appreciate the offer. I'm running a Xitone and have two DXR10's in the background to 'fill the room' so to speak. They're actually my computer monitors in studio/office. I can't crank it up anymore. I think I damaged my ear a year or two ago trying to see how loud the DXR 10's got. My right ear has never been the same and at a certain level at higher frequencies my ear has 'fizzle' to it. It was real stupid looking back and it hasn't healed. I'm relegated to just above bedroom levels...maybe a little higher but I have to tame the highs.

Reactions: JD_
When you say Axe + cab it makes me think you believe the Axe has a built in power amp. It does not. You will need an amp of some sort. I agree with those who suggest a FRFR powered cab, Personally I switch between a Mackie Thump 15A and a pair of JBL powered PA monitors.
Does not work by using the AXE FX III plugged into an ENGL Cabinet (Engl E212VH Pro BK)?

Back
Top Bottom