Fractal Audio FM3 vs AX8 | Raw Amp Comparison

Can you really gig with only 3 foot switches though? That's why I love my AX8. Not as much tap dancing.

I do... been doing it for a while with a tech 21 rk5 fly rig and the 3 switches on the fm3 are a million times more flexible.

I can understand people not being able, but with a modified omg3 layout I can do everything I need

Just sold my AX8 as part of the move to FM3. Was playing it for the buyer through an Adam A7 and it sounded great.
Was really nice to have all the switches and the knobs to directly adjust the amp tone.
As the modeling has improved so that filter and EQ tricks are much less necessary, the knobs are most of what you need to tailor the tone.

You can also connect two two button footswitches with the FM 3 and then you have seven switches. I only use the two two button footswitches and a Peterson StroboStomp HD tuner all mounted on a pedalboard that acts like a remote unit for the FM 3. That is the greatest advantage compared to the AX 8 : more flexibility and you can leave the FM 3 in the back of the stage so that no one in the audience can drop a beer on it 😎👌

Last edited:
Of course you can gig with only 3 foot switches... it all deppends on the needs of the song and how you want to set up the patch. On my AX8 sometimes I wanted to do a complete setlist on just one preset but sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't and I needed other preset for some song specific needs. In my case I definetly need the FC6 or FC12 besides to FM3 for the way I like things to be set up, but I also like that smaller footpring that if I just want to go somewhere to have fun or do a quick recording I could just take the FM3.

Back
Top Bottom