Fractal Audio flexible sample rate conversion?

Hansen

Experienced
Is it possible to adjust the sample rate from 48 to e.g. 44.1, or does anybody expect this option to come in the future?

Don't expect it.
Most DAWs do on the fly conversion, otherwise you can use Asio4All
I know Reaper lets you mix/match sample rates...
Logic, Cubase/Nuendo, MixBuss, Protools, etc...let you convert the files but it's far from on the fly.

My work around has been using the AES connection and sample rate convert on the input of the Motu 896HD when I really wanted got be in something other than 48k.
But for years it's been just a lot easier to just stick to 48.

Ok. So let's say you record guitars with Axe at 48. How to you proceed if you need to use a different DAW at 44,1 for vocals?

Ok. So let's say you record guitars with Axe at 48. How to you proceed if you need to use a different DAW at 44,1 for vocals?

Why do you need to use a different DAW? What DAW are you using? I use Reaper and it does just fine whether I'm at 44.1khz, 48khz, 96khz, or even 192khz. I used to record songs at 96khz, but after I got my Axe FX I use 48khz now and have no problems recording with my old files.

For home recording I use 48khz only and I'm fine with that. I use Reaper as my DAW as well and never had issues thanks to on-the-fly conversion and mixdown options(export as mp3).

For professional recording I can't see a problem either as sample rate conversion is just another step in a complex recording workflow and I'm sure there are more important problems to focus on.

I use Cubase. I record my guitars directly via Axe FX and the rate is 48. But when I record vocals I use Focusrite and it is 44,1.

Would the best be to go from the Axe via the Focusrite?

Well, there is equipment that doesn't support 48 kHz, so it can get rather annoying.

Roland FA-06 workstation is one example.

Obviously 44.1 kHz is a more universal solution, and most files I work with that were produced externally are 44.1.

Some DAWs can resample on the fly, but such resampling isn't very high quality.

That said, upsampling is easier than downsampling, so it's certainly better to have the whole project at a higher rate - 48 in this case...

I'm. Not sure that a keyboard is the best yardstick to use.
The reality is that 44.1 solely exists from the days of audio CDs, heck CD drives on computers connected to the sound blaster it worst card with an audio cable so it didn't have to upsample.
But nowadays I don't see any sessions at 44.1 that werent done in a bedroom.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom