Fractal Audio AMP Models: Revv (based on Revv Generator 120)

Finally had a chance to put the Revv Green models through their paces and they are exactly as everything I heard in demos of the real amp: mediocre and disappointing. The Revv Red/Purple are great, but the Green feels stiff and sounds dry no matter how I dial it.

You will get better mid gain Marshall tones out of the Cornford, JVM, 5153 or any of the Plexi models.
I really like Green 1 with Input Drive around 2.5, Master Volume about 7 - works great as a "pedal platform".

I was of the mind that it would be nothing special (or, at least nothing much different) from the other "clean" models but I was pleasantly surprised.

But everyone's got their own tastes ;)

I really like Green 1 with Input Drive around 2.5, Master Volume about 7 - works great as a "pedal platform".

I was of the mind that it would be nothing special (or, at least nothing much different) from the other "clean" models but I was pleasantly surprised.

I was under the impression that Green was crunch and Blue was clean. Am I my mistaken?

Edit: Just checked Sweetwater. Green is indeed the crunch channel fwiw.

I was under the impression that Green was crunch and Blue was clean. Am I my mistaken?

Edit: Just checked Sweetwater. Green is indeed the crunch channel fwiw.
Ok, I think I read that, too. But that's why I lowered the Gain... I just used my ears to get a sound I liked :)

Last edited:

Yeah this!
I really like the Green channel it adds some very different flavor, a modern touch on an old school tone.

Did you crank up the master volume?
I did and still preferred other models. Plus the real amp is designed as a master volume amp and if it needs to be cranked to sound good on this channel, I feel it already fails at its premise considering there are plenty of similarly voiced amps that sound nicer without powertube distortion. Obviously cranking MV on Fractal is a non-issue.

The Revv green can do a great AC/DC ( I use Back in Black songs) to dial it in…
Still messing with it… gain 5 master 6…. Low bass 2 and use depth to dial in bottom…
I also used the variac at 80 I think….
Also using dyna cab…lurxst…sm57 and ribbon

Finally got around to trying these (I’m very late). About a year and a half ago, I met some of the Revv sales guys at a store in Canada by pure happenstance. They were there demoing their amps for the employees and I sorta got to tag along.

Really nice guys. I like the Purple and Red channels more than the Rectifier it’s imitating, to be frank. I thought I really liked the green channel, but then I went back to my preferred 59 Plexi, and it’s no contest.

It ships with EL34s as the Rev A ships with 6L6s. It is just a little different. You honestly could get those sounds in the axe fx if you tried really hard but it really isnt THAT different from the Rev A.
Do you have a Rev B? There’s more changes than just the power tubes. I’m not saying it’s a completely different amp but it’s definitely not the same as the Rev A. Here’s a picture of my Rev B.

Attachments

• IMG_1627.jpeg
    IMG_1627.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
In Germany, cheap is mostly associated with lower quality, like cheap plastic, cheap material etc.
But personally I would never associate the word cheap with Fractal.
Which would then make them less expensive then?

This post literally made me lol.

You don’t get it, no problem.
No, I do get it, so I'll help you understand. It means either one or both of being inexpensive or of lesser quality depending on the context.

A cheap concert ticket is a great analogy of the former.

If you were to buy cheap tools, you can safely assume they both inexpensive and of lesser quality.

1708033603915.png

Ok done derailing, couldn't help myself.

wow ! I had revv mk3 and with low output PAF pickups, I couldn´t put any boost in front, as the amp had so much saturation, that I could play modern metal, even without red aggression engaded :)
You can do it onboard or use a pedal, lower the gain on the amp, and add blue aggression to give it an edge. I’m also using bright and cut but not the fat switch on the purple channel. Red aggression is too much if boosting in front.

Back
Top Bottom