Fractal Audio AMP models: Archean (based on PRS Archon)

@yek, One correction to your post, PRS did quite a few different amps before the Archon. PRS hired Doug Sewell to work on an amp line around 2009 and they did amps like the 25th Anniversary, SE series, 2-channels, HXDA, Dallas, and others previously. But the Archon for sure made the biggest splash yet.
Yek I can confirm a part of this as correct. I got to meet and chat with Doug Sewell in Maryland, great guy, he did an amp clinic and we talked about him working for a long time via PRS with David Grissom on Dave's PRS amp that Dave uses now all the time for live gigs (well, when there ARE live gigs to be had, not many in Austin since COVID-19)....

Last edited:
Thanks Yek.

Clean was better than I expected, great with the 3 knob tube driver. Playing with the bright amp now with my tele, doesn't feel like a metal amp, just fat and musical. Super unfussy, just plug and play.

Quick question about the difference between the Archean and the Archean Bright: neither one has the bright switch on by default. And since the amp only has one lead channel, why isn't the difference between those two just a matter of engaging the bright switch or not?

I was just trying to get a really saturated high-gain tone and was struggling with a few presets (Friedman, Engl, etc.) . I jokingly tried out the "Archean" because I still remember when the Archon was the next big thing in Modern high-gain, before people moved onto something else (as we always do). And oddly enough it worked like a charm. The stock Archean Bright setting is a bit too hairy for my taste, but putting the Precision Drive in the front with an Input Boost does wonders in focusing the tone.

Hey all, what would you compare the new Archon Lead Channel model to in the amps in the Axe FX II? I haven’t made the switch yet but Wanna get as close as possible to that Archon sound.

Hey all, what would you compare the new Archon Lead Channel model to in the amps in the Axe FX II? I haven’t made the switch yet but Wanna get as close as possible to that Archon sound.

Put the Full OD drive model in front of a Plexi.

Reactions: Rex
I’ll try that, thank you!

it’s a surprising response though as the clips I heard don’t sound overwhelmingly Marshall to me.

the difference between the Archean and the Archean Bright: neither one has the bright switch on by default.

Just a guess, but it's possible that the "bright switch" in the Archon changes the circuit more than just a standard bright cap so it needs a separate model. The standard bright switch in the AMP block can then be turned on/off for either model to taste.

Cliff or @yek might be able to clarify.

Just a guess, but it's possible that the "bright switch" in the Archon changes the circuit more than just a standard bright cap so it needs a separate model. The standard bright switch in the AMP block can then be turned on/off for either model to taste.

Cliff or @yek might be able to clarify.

to me yes
i have the Archon and it changes the Mids the bright switch gives a bit more upper mid cut
the core amp reminds me a lot of a boosted DZL VH4 some asked above what it was sort of like

Will you do some updates in the wiki for the cabs in general in the amp section ? most of them seems to be in axe 2 and not in axe 3 . Thank you , these infos are cool and useful to read .

Will you do some updates in the wiki for the cabs in general in the amp section ? most of them seems to be in axe 2 and not in axe 3 . Thank you , these infos are cool and useful to read .
All of the Axe Fx II IRs are in the Legacy bank of the Axe Fx III, which I believe is already documented in the wiki.

Back
Top Bottom