FracPad Android tablet recommendations?

TieDyedDevil

Inspired
Although I've always programmed my AFX via its front panel, I'm tempted to purchase and use FracPad as I get more into sound design.

I'm seeking recommendations for Android tablets (no IOS, please!) that are (a) in production, (b) available for purchase on Amazon and (c) known to run FracPad without issues.

I don't care one way or the other about Bluetooth connectivity; if it's available I might try it. A wired connection is just fine.

Thank you.

Bt connectivity doesn't work on Android...
I'd recommend a tablet with Android 6.0 at least... A Google one, why not.

But it's pricey...
My 2013 nexus 7 works perfectly btw

What are the tradeoffs or issues w.r.t. the various Android system versions?

The announcement says 4.4+ is OK. The program's download site says 4.2+, but prefer 6.0+.

I might be able to repurpose an old tablet if I can use 4.2+, but I'll need to buy a new tablet to get 6.0.

If you wanna be sure it works use Android 6.0, otherwise it's pretty device dependant as it uses a 3rd party Java Midi driver that could be too slow to handle the midi stream input...

What are the tradeoffs or issues w.r.t. the various Android system versions?

The announcement says 4.4+ is OK. The program's download site says 4.2+, but prefer 6.0+.

I might be able to repurpose an old tablet if I can use 4.2+, but I'll need to buy a new tablet to get 6.0.

If you want to try to repurpose an older tablet, the best bet is to load Cyanogenmod on it. It takes some time to get through the process but it will effectively remove the extra UI layer almost all vendors & communications companies put on Android devices. It will also get rid of the junk apps that slow the tablet down. I've had pretty good luck with CM13 on my old GalaxyTab 2. 7". It stopped updating at Android 4.2.2 but was too slow under that OS to run Fracpad well. The same tablet under CM 13 runs FP 1.04 fairly well. Of course as Alex said, a newer tablet running Android 6 is your best bet but before you spend the $, you might want to try CM on your old tablet. You'll need an OTG adapter for Fracpad so it if uses a proprietary connector that may be difficult to find. My Tab2 does but luckily, I had bough the version that came with one.

Update: It looks like the Cyanogenmod site has gone offline and there's news that the project is changing direction. This is unfortunate because it does make Fracpad usable on older devices. Everything changes I guess.....

Update2: http://lineageos.org/Yes-this-is-us/ - hopefully, everything will be available again soon....

Last edited:
Android 6 tablet is highly recommended, old tablet are often too slow to handle the java midi driver... An old nexus 7/9 is cheap and good

I finally had a chance to dig through my Big Box of Slightly Obsolete Technology.

I have to recycle my gen-1 Nexus 7. It'll no longer take a charge. Too bad; I like the matching BT keyboard I bought to go with the Nexus...

I do have an ASUS tablet running Android 5, plus an OTG adapter.

Al, does it matter that the processor is an Intel Atom? I was thinking this might be a sticking point for your 3rd-party MIDI driver.

If you want a great Android tablet, I've had stellar results with my Galaxy Tab S. 2 1/2 years old and still mint. Fast as hell also. It's the best performing computer in my home and I have many (computer tech by trade). I can't speak to FracPad.

Back
Top Bottom