FR/FR Tonal Questions...blazing highs

King Tone

Inspired
I am sure there are other threads about this... but hey it's a forum. So I picked up an Atomic CLR. I guess I need some help in understanding tonally how to cope. First off, my original rig--axe fx2 matrix 800--port city os 1x12 (g-12-65) This rig has sounded great. I really did not have any complaints but I have been trying to size down/reduce weight/simplify my rig if I could. Also if using my regular cab the IRs don't get used(except on DI) so for example a Vox sound(which is dependent on the blue speaker) was not as authentic coming through the normal cab. So back to the Atomic. I know it is supposed to be flat but it sure seems bright when at stage volume. At lower volume everything is fine but at that point who cares. I am assuming that means my 65 speaker was rolling off some highs in the previous setup. I have used high cut on the preamp and the speaker IR pretty drastically and it still seems fairly bright. Using a marshall 50 watt plexi sound mostly with greenback mix (stock) IR. I mean do you have to put an eq block after the cab and roll everything way down in the high ranges? That seems so drastic. Is everyone happy with their CLR tones? Am I crazy or is this just the way this works? I would love some tips on getting a more natural (flatter?) response. Yes I know, cab in a room, this sounds like it's mic'ed, etc. It just seems like an awful lot of highs. Your thoughts...

Vox amps sound great through greenbacks too...

Blazing highs at gig volume, while everything sounds great at low volume? That's known as the Fletcher-Munson curve. That's something you need to deal with. It's unavoidable. That's why many players dial in their tones at performing levels. Preferably with a backing track or with the band playing. Adjust the tone controls in the Amp block. Or apply generous low-cut and high-cut (in the Cab block of by using a separate PEQ or GEQ). Go as high as 120 -200 Hz with low-cut, and as low as 5 kHz with high-cut, whatever works for you.

I have set some sounds at very loud volumes. I thought some of them were pretty dark but once mixed in with the band it was brighter than I thought. I mean you have to have some brightness to cut through. I guess I had this idea that since the amp models are very accurate, the IRs are supposed to be very good, and the monitor is flat...you could use some basic settings and get a pretty natural sound. This was my experience with my studio monitors but I guess the volume is playing into it. I put pretty strong high cut on the preamp segment and also the IR...I guess it just takes more tweaking.

I mean you have to have some brightness to cut through.

Not when playing live, IMHO. The more focussed the tone is (mids and mids only), the better you'll fit in the band mix.
My best FR stage tones were achieved with agressive low- and high-passing.

I guess I had this idea that since the amp models are very accurate, the IRs are supposed to be very good, and the monitor is flat...you could use some basic settings and get a pretty natural sound.

It's the "amp-in-the-room" (your Port City) versus "close-mic'd tone" (CLR) thing. IRs are in general captured by a microphone, placed against the grille cloth. That results in bright tone. Much brighter than what you used to hearing from your Port City cab.

Crazy thing...something odd happened, dumb mistake I guess. I thought I had a whole bunch of hi-cut in a few places (preamp, cab, , lowered treble, etc) and somehow managed to NOT save it. When I was just checking my sounds there was no cut anywhere! I knew I had to hi-cut things a bit but it sure worked better when it actually gets saved! Now I think I am heading to the correct ballpark. I think this is about to get a lot more fun.

Back
Top Bottom