Forgot how awesome the Centerpoint Space Station is for rotary...

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
My old V2 Centerpoint Space Station has been sitting gathering dust since I moved about 6 months ago, in fact, I've never even hooked it up to my new Axe III...... until today! Wow, forgot how mind blowing this thing is.

If you don't know, the Space Station is a kind of unique monitor/PA speaker that has front and side firing speakers. It sums the L+R stereo input and essentially what is the same between channels it plays through the front speaker, and what is different, it plays through the side speaker, which is out of phase with the front. What happens is you have these totally out of phase parts of a stereo sound bouncing all around the room, giving this huge sense of space, yet, not a true left/right stereo sound. Its trippy because it sucks for something like a ping-pong delay, but stereo reverb, chorus, and especially rotary speaker sound amazing, and they sound the same essentially anywhere in the room. In fact, you want to position this in a corner so it can diffuse the sound off the walls. The further you get from it, the "bigger" it sounds.

Well one effect that this thing is tailor made for is rotary. I had a real Vibratone and that thing sounded awesome in the room with it. Just can't reproduce that effect of how the sound literally was directed around the room with stereo speakers, and this is why most rotary pedals fall flat. Well, with the Space Station, its sending sound out to different parts of the room, out of phase, as the virtual rotor "spins" between the L+R outputs.

With the III now, and its awesome I/O routing and tons of outputs, its a breeze to set up a patch where you have a rotary block going to its down dedicated stereo output. Slap the Enhancer block on after it, and then just adjust the level to mix in "real", 'in the room" rotary speaker sound with your dry main monitor, just how you'd do it if you had a real rotary cabinet sitting on stage with you.

If your not in the room with it, its not going to sound the same, so its really just a personal enjoyment thing, but man... it sounds good. I paid $300 for it a year or two ago, great value.

I put it in the corner, assigned an EXP pedal to its volume send, and I can close my eyes, hit a chord, push the pedal forward and this totally enveloping surround sound rotary speaker swells up all around me.

If you can find one of these used for a good price, BUY ONE, worth every penny, and simply so fun to play.

Heck, I'll buy another if I see it. I can only imagine running a stereo W/stereo D/stereo W rig with two of these things and then stereo CLR's. Add in my desktop studio monitors an sub, and the 4 stereo pairs of the Axe III and the aural potential is mind boggling.

I bought one of these for my outdoor venue a few years ago, not currently being used, time to pull it out and have vertigo inducing fun.

Its an interesting speaker, because if you feed it a signal without much stereo separation between the channels it sounds like a mono point source, in other words, not very impressive. You need a really different L and R signal to get a noticeable effect. Also needs to have flat surfaces to bounce all those out of phase sound waves off of, so if you stick in in the middle of the room, or outdoors, doesn't do much. Stick it in a corner, lean it back against the wall, suddenly the effect comes to life. Fills the whole room. Doesn't sound like a point source anymore.

As such, this thing is tailor made for things like stereo rotary speaker effects when used in a smaller room. Kind of an investment for something that is best suited to home playing enjoyment, but man, what fun

Try sending a huge 100% wet reverb, low output level, to the space station as well. On your main monitor(s) you can use another reverb block to taste, such as a med. spring setting.

The Centerpoint will diffuse that second ambient reverb effect around the whole room, and if you close your eyes, it sounds like your playing a combo amp with built in reverb tank in this huge acoustic space.

Back
Top Bottom