For Tightwads...

I agree. Tannoys would be fine.

I sorta disagree on the Tannoy's... I have a pair on top of my Focal BE 6S's and while they sound great for what they are, they are very bright. So bright that the user might end up cutting high end in his patches to accommodate them.

For a tightwad I think the Tannoys would be ok. But that's fine. Depending on which one they used to be great audio speakers and good studio reference monitors. They're certainly not ideal for the Axe Fx, but in getting started I think he could use those. But it's just my opinion.

3. What *is* the difference between a MK I and a MK II anyway?
The Mark I has an Ethernet port and the Mark II a Ethercon.

One more question: I did mention the AX8 to him. It may be all he'd need. But the comment above about recording caught my attention. What limitations does it have compared to an Axe FX II?

The Axe Fx will act as a sound interface the AX8 does not perform this function. (side note: also makes re-amping easier)
The AX8 can only run one cab and one amp per preset; the Axe Fx will do two of each.
The Axe Fx will run more complex effect chains with ease, the AX8 you need to be a little more mindful of what you setup in a preset. However routing options are the same.
The cab block in the AX8 has fewer options, but IR’s are so good it might be considered splitting hairs. Me personally: I do like to use a little motor drive with certain IR’s so to record I will always go to my AF II.
The midi board section of the AX8 I find really powerful! Those switches do whatever you want from preset to preset. I find the 8 switches on the AX8 more powerful/versatile than the 17 switches on the MFC.

John

Back
Top Bottom