For those who want left and right amps, how do you achieve it with your FM3?

You'll need to use an external amp sim, and then make sure the phase is maintained (I use the flanger block for a micro-delay to delay the internal path to match the external path, modulation 0 and mix 100% effect), as the FM3 only has one amp block, so one amp at a time.

That is not achievable with the FM3. Plenty of stereo effects, even Stereo CAB, but not two amps. All stereo imaging must go after the AMP block.

You'll need to use an external amp sim, and then make sure the phase is maintained (I use the flanger block for a micro-delay to delay the internal path to match the external path, modulation 0 and mix 100% effect), as the FM3 only has one amp block, so one amp at a time.
Do you find the speaker alignment tool is not enough for the delay compensation?

That is not achievable with the FM3. Plenty of stereo effects, even Stereo CAB, but not two amps. All stereo imaging must go after the AMP block.
Clearly with only one amp block it's not currently possible, but if you wanted dual amps, what would you use? Be creative.

Clearly with only one amp block it's not currently possible, but if you wanted dual amps, what would you use? Be creative.

Either upgrade to FM9 and sell the FM3, or add a modeler of other brand at the FX loop of the FM3. Some amp modelers in pedal format are not too expensive (e.g.: NUX, Joyo, Hotone, Mooer, Valeton, Zoom). What other options could there be?

At this thread there are some attempts to achieve that inside the FM3 (e.g.: drive +EQ), but that will never sound or feel like an amp.

Last edited:
Either upgrade to FM9 and sell the FM3, or add a modeler of other brand at the FX loop of the FM3. Some amp modelers in pedal format are not too expensive (e.g.: NUX, Joyo, Hotone, Mooer, Valeton, Zoom).
... which will render the price of overall solution too close to FM9!
The only benefit is "redundancy", like having a backup.

If this was super important to me, I think I'd try to fake the second amp block with a drive, and probably an EQ. There are examples of amp-less rock tones around.

But I think this is the tail wagging the dog. How did a second amp block get to be so important? How did the OP end up with a modeler that doesn't support a feature they think is so critical?

My guess is that some famous or respected player said they used two amps, maybe on some favorite record, and that somehow got translated into "I must use two amps to fulfill my destiny", which, uh, no, probably not.

My guess is that some famous or respected player said they used two amps, maybe on some favorite record, and that somehow got translated into "I must use two amps to fulfill my destiny", which, uh, no, probably not.
Aren't many using two amps because with the real amp you can't get w/d setup without a second amp?
With FM3 we can have W/D/W/D if we want with just one amp :)

I tried stacking Tube Drives in a parallel path routing it back to CAB block to emulate the second amp, and it kinda worked - I never got past the phase issues, but that's just me, someone more experienced would be able to do it.

The FM3 Amp block does output in stereo. It will sum to mono on the input, however. If you want true stereo from input to output, you need either the FM9 or Axe-fx flagship.

Do you find the speaker alignment tool is not enough for the delay compensation?
Worst case with modern digital gear and only one modeler in the FX loop, total FX loop latency should not exceed 10ms (4 conversions), so with careful panning and cab block input settings it should work fine (as does the flanger, and studio compressor via it's look a-head feature).

When I did it last it was early FM3 FW, not sure if the cab block had the feature then, though in any case I used the flanger.

The new tiny Tonex might be cool for this usage?

Last edited:
Some good answers
If this was super important to me, I think I'd try to fake the second amp block with a drive, and probably an EQ. There are examples of amp-less rock tones around.

But I think this is the tail wagging the dog. How did a second amp block get to be so important? How did the OP end up with a modeler that doesn't support a feature they think is so critical?

Why is it important to me?
In the 90's and 2000's I hobby built low powered valve amps and used them live and in studio sessions. I could crank a 5 watt non-master volume valve amp into distortion without annoying the engineer or damaging his precious mics ;-)
On one particular album I used 2 amps both built on repurposed valve radio chassis, one like a Marshall and the other like a Vox. When pushed into distortion and panned hard left and right I was absolutely amazed at the 'double track' effect it had to my playing, because both amps responded to distortion very differently. Try it out!
Since then I've been hooked on stereo using dissimilar amps.

Like others have suggested, I have used a drive block to create 'dual amp' patches in my FM3. Thanks to my friends here in Australia I've now got an FM9 although I'm still keen to create the ultimate 'dual' tone in my 3. I'll get around to sharing my patches if anyone's interested.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom