For those who use an amp + cab and IR direct to PA when playing live

stefherbuel

Inspired
Do you use the same IR for all the patchs (clean , crunchs, lead etc) as you would mic your real cab behind you , or do you use different IR depending the patch ?
if yes (use different IR per patch) how do you manage to make the axe fx amp sounding good for the IR and for your real cab behind you ? i mean if you tweak a fender with a fender IR, and if you have your matrix with real cab behind you that are vintage 30 , it will not sound the same..
curious how you manage that ..
thanks
stef

I use different IRs for different sounds and im monitoring through FRFR monitor. Generaly you want FRFR if youre using IRs. If you use real cab you could split the signal before cab block and route it to another output (fx send). That way you can send emulated cab signal to PA and monitor using your real cab without IR coloration.

I have two amp sounds: Fender Twin and Friedman. I use a single IR for FOH. It sounds similar (but not the same) as my real cabs.

Sometimes I use whatever is on stage as a cab. I'm not really bothered by the difference.

The Low Resonant Frequency of my 2x12 cab and of the IR are the same, that helps.

I use different IRs for different sounds and im monitoring through FRFR monitor. Generaly you want FRFR if youre using IRs. If you use real cab you could split the signal before cab block and route it to another output (fx send). That way you can send emulated cab signal to PA and monitor using your real cab without IR coloration.
thanks pauliusmm ,that's what i do, but where i'm "curious" it's that when you use a real cab behind you and send IR to PA at the same time , if you use differents ir.?

I have two amp sounds: Fender Twin and Friedman. I use a single IR for FOH. It sounds similar (but not the same) as my real cabs.

Sometimes I use whatever is on stage as a cab. I'm not really bothered by the difference.

The Low Resonant Frequency of my 2x12 cab and of the IR are the same, that helps.

thanks yek , for some reason, i find your solution the more "logical" to keep things not to much complicated : you have one cab behind you for all your sound, you have one virtual cab (IR) to PA for all sounds..., but it's tempting to put different IR depending the amp as they are there... any other experience in this thing is welcome as i do like this and wanted to know others experience on this.

btw thanks :)

Reactions: yek
With my new to me ultra...soon to be gig'd in a couple of weeks I have set it up like this. Different IR for different patches and each patch is paralleled before cab eq rev to another eq and fx loop out to my real amp on stage. The second eq allows me to tweak my real cab (recto 4x12) for stage oomph...and I have my DI (out 1) To the board coming back to me in my monitor mix just for a little sweetness. There is no mic on the real cab as no need to. I have run this in the jam hall for a couple of weeks now with full pa set up and all I can say is...wow...this ROCKS!

If you use different IR for different patches the guy at the console will get crazy... it's impossible to match the response on bass and treble and the result is unpredictable...
This is my experience...

If you use different IR for different patches the guy at the console will get crazy... it's impossible to match the response on bass and treble and the result is unpredictable...
This is my experience...
I think 99% of people use different IRs, its not such a big problem. I use maybe 6 presets live all with different amps and cabs. If you tweak them to sound good they can be different.

I generally use the same IR for everything unless its a specialized sound that requires something completely different.

Everyone has their own approach and if it works and you get absorbed into your music then perfect. It's great hearing everyone's take cause just gives us even more ideas.
I have variations of 2 sounds no different than my 2 chnl triple recto...I mix them in my studio on reference monitors and chanel strip flat. Then I tweak the amp tap eq at rehearsal. So far so good....but I will see this Fri at the ultra"s first gig on a large PA.

I think 99% of people use different IRs, its not such a big problem. I use maybe 6 presets live all with different amps and cabs. If you tweak them to sound good they can be different.
Yes but i agree with Albion
make a band sound good together can be difficult, especially if you have synth, and lots of voice, and brass.changing IR means changing "eq" (often radically )and if it's ok at home, live the soundman make your sound IR "A" sound good with bass and synth , and sound with IR "B" may not fit really well.
there are a few people that use differents amps (so with different cab) live, think eric johnson, the difference is that his fender goes in the sound man mixer with one mic, and his marshall taken with anot her mic/place in the table, which means that he can eq them separatly to fit the band/place, when you send axe fx signal to the soundman, it's a left/right, means that if he eq something, he eq all of your sounds /IR ...
so ok i'm sure it may work for lot of people, but live it seems that , IMHO, the "one cab" solution is more adequat in lots of situation

I hear what you are saying, but i don't see it as such a big problem. I think lead patches must be different to cut through the mix etc. Keyboard/Synth players also plays different patches, and nobody has a problem with it.

Keyboard/Synth players also plays different patches, and nobody has a problem with it.

hmm point taken (even if i often hear the soundman tells the synths players "this sound is too quiet, this one too loud" even if well calibrated at home, the freq content makes them sound "louder" or not at high volume") but i will argue on this : imho the guitar sound can me more "agressive" and is dfficult to fit with other way more than a synth sound : every synth player plug in random PA, it will work "great" most of the time , guitar sound is more complicated much more "sensible" to frequency.move your mic just a few to the left , what sounded good sound bad.and depending the PA , what sounded good at home will sound bad in this PA.the soundman always "adapt" the mic placment or eq depending the place, and everyone knows that while synth sound is "plug and play" guitar sound is always a big "pb" to sound "good" in every situation.
guys with lot of gear like gilmour frampton, the edge use LOTS of differents sound (like a synth player) making their distortion by amp ,differents pedals etc depending the song, but often all of this goes in the same cab, as it "unify" the sound , gives everythying the same global "color".
(except the "multi amp" thing but again it's taken by different mic and the soundman can adapt every amp by eq'ing in the mixer)

interesting subject btw ! i will ask the soundmen i work with what they think/their experience about this !

Last edited:
Yeah leveling your patches is so important for both key and guitar players. And its a real joy to play when you have set it right. You don't have to think "will this blow the speakers when i turn on the lead patch?" or " will I be able to hear myself when i hit the lead patch...".

I get your point, but i don't think it is necessary to use one cab to sound good.
My point is sometimes you want stuff to sound different. Otherwise there would be one amp and one cab in the AXE. You want certain tones to blend in and other tones to stand out. If you prepare your stuff at hame - these differences are not such a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom