For those using their axe with 4x12's...

stevehollx said:
I'm thinking about doing this and running direct to FOH.

For those that have done it, have you noticed a more consistent tone in FOH compared to micing the cab? Or is it simply a convenience thing?

For me, when we run our own sound, it is simply a convenience thing.

I guess you could include that the convenience is related to consistency in that you don't have to fiddle with the mic angle and placement or worry about bumping the mic, which would affect the consistency of the tone.

There is total consistency with going direct, there is total unpredictability when you mic. I always know what I'm going to sound like out front (unless I'm going thru a totally odd sound system). So it's more than just convenience.

Also, very important whether you are running your own sound or using a soundguy: If you are mic'd, evey time you tweak your stage volume (because your bass player had another drink and is playing harder) you change the
FOH mix. But going direct, you have separate volume controls to your board feed and to your stage rig. So you can tweak your stage volume a bit without changing the FOH mix at all. I really like that! So does the soundguy (which at least half the time is me). :geek:

Back
Top Bottom