For those using the recently G3'ed Drives...

King Tone

Inspired
What are your favorites for solo boost/lead tones? Any different opinions than before they received the G3 treatment?

I think I am leaning towards roughly the same as before but I am definitely in the re-tweaking mode. BB Pre for general fattening up of solos. This would often be used with a marshall type amp sound, plexi, freidman small box sounds great with it, BE-100, etc. I am tending to set the amp sound slightly cleaner and turn the boost pedal on…seems to have more sustain and violin qualities than just a high gain sound (which I use to prefer) although I still use some of that also. On some amps (my old rig when I was young was a jcm 800 and super od) I also use a super overdrive as well. I also sometimes use a tone bender for sustain sounds.

I am trying to kind of get the drives to the perfect place(sort of where they were before I updated!) and thought it might be worth discussion. Maybe new discoveries could be made...

Your thoughts?

Yep, I use the BB Pre in a very similar way to you. In front of the dirty Shirley it is magic. What I am really loving about the drives is the ability to change the clipping type which I know has been around for a few firmware versions now, but since being G3'd the differences between clipping types are really prominent now and it is like having thirty or forty different Pedals to choose from. I particularly love the Hard clipping on pedals like the BB pre or full drive, and the variable option is that last piece of the puzzle that allows me to get almost any drive tone/style/sound I want.

Back
Top Bottom