For those of you running both direct and pwr amp + cab

Genome

Inspired
This is something I'm looking at doing live, at the moment I am running through a GT1000FX into a Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (with V30s) and micing that up with an SM57.

I'd like to do this (minus micing) and run direct to FOH with a mix from Clark Kent's Cab Pack. I tried it out at practice and the Alloy mixes work marvellously live especially with the tips from the live sound thread.

What's the best way to go about running both and how do you go about compensating for two different cabs? The amp settings I dial in for the FOH tone might not necessarily translate over to the Matrix+Zilla perfectly well. I'm interested know how people who currently do this have things setup, and if there are other things I should think about.

For example,
  • Should I run two different versions of the same amp in the preset and send them to the different outputs?
  • Or keep one amp going to both outputs and compensate for the differences with EQ (but then, for example, the speaker resonance settings might be accurate for one but not both)?
  • Should I avoid using two different cabs and just shoot some IRs of my Zilla?

Thanks
Genome

Pick your stagesignal from loop send (before cab sim block). The FOH signal could be taken from output 1 witch has a cab sim block before the output.

This is something I'm looking at doing live, at the moment I am running through a GT1000FX into a Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (with V30s) and micing that up with an SM57.

I'd like to do this (minus micing) and run direct to FOH with a mix from Clark Kent's Cab Pack. I tried it out at practice and the Alloy mixes work marvellously live especially with the tips from the live sound thread.

What's the best way to go about running both and how do you go about compensating for two different cabs? The amp settings I dial in for the FOH tone might not necessarily translate over to the Matrix+Zilla perfectly well. I'm interested know how people who currently do this have things setup, and if there are other things I should think about.

For example,
  • Should I run two different versions of the same amp in the preset and send them to the different outputs?
  • Or keep one amp going to both outputs and compensate for the differences with EQ (but then, for example, the speaker resonance settings might be accurate for one but not both)?
  • Should I avoid using two different cabs and just shoot some IRs of my Zilla?

Thanks
Genome

I know how to route it - sorry if that wasn't clear. I have an FXL block coming off before it hits the cab block. I was wondering as the IR's going to the FOH are of a different cab to the one coming off the stage, whether there were useful techniques in getting them sounding good together. Both of them will have different speaker resonance settings - for example my Zilla's Low Res is 82.5hz and CK's Mesa is 94hz.

I'm wondering if many who do this run two separate amp blocks or just make do with the one and compensate, or whether it really actually makes much of a difference in a live context (I've not tried this yet)

i have been running things this way for a while now. I have OUT1 going to FOH and OUT2 going to GT1000FX and my cabs. I am using a pair of Diezel 4X12's, top one has K100's and the bottom one has V30's. So, I am already mixing speakers and having a fine result. I use IR's with one amp block amd the FX LOOP as you mentioned. I don't want a second amp block as it would use too much CPU and I want effects available as I play covers.
You can certainly do what you are saying if you are not pushing the CPU limit. No problem running two amp blocks or two canbs blocks for that matter. For me it comes down to CPU and what I need from the preset.
Hope this helps.
Enjoy...

I have found it hard to choose a cab IR among one million different that will fit in a mix with different PA systems and different bandsituations. But I prefere to make it as simple as possible.
It's hard to give advice without knowing your music , I guess. I use one IR for the PA and adjust on the mixer if the low frequenzies are to boomy or something like that. If you are lycky there might be a separate eq for the monitor system, if you intend to put the guitar in the monitor . I have never heard a good sound in the monitor coming from a miced up guitarcab so far

Not much help I suppose

I know how to route it - sorry if that wasn't clear. I have an FXL block coming off before it hits the cab block. I was wondering as the IR's going to the FOH are of a different cab to the one coming off the stage, whether there were useful techniques in getting them sounding good together. Both of them will have different speaker resonance settings - for example my Zilla's Low Res is 82.5hz and CK's Mesa is 94hz.

I'm wondering if many who do this run two separate amp blocks or just make do with the one and compensate, or whether it really actually makes much of a difference in a live context (I've not tried this yet)

Back
Top Bottom