For those lookig for a pure IR

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
Hi,

Prometh's post about RedWirez made me look at those IR's again.
I first started reading the "Dialing In Your Tone" guide from RW.
And one thing's for sure: I didn't want to try every IR and I sure don't want to spend to much time mixing and trying various combinations.
But I had the same complaint a lot of users have.
Although lots of IRs, especially the OH stuff, are excellent for recording because they give you that studio sound, none gave me that pure speaker sound.
I'm not saying the studio IRs can't be used for live purposes, but I wanted something pure.
So I looked at the ones made with the Earthworks TC30.
Condenser. Flat reference mic. No proximity effect.
That's what I was looking for.
But when choosing one out of 4 positions, it gives you only part of the speakers voice.
The cap might be to bright, the cone to dark, etc...
So why not mix all four together?
And so I did.
And I must say I'm very happy with the result.
I made such a mix of all the cabs in the Redwirez pack, loaded those up in my user slots and now combine it with the microphones settings in the Axe-Fx.
lots of options to choose from on the fly without testing every combination first.
A I used a lot of V30's in my presets, I especially liked the MesaRectifierV30s in combination with the 421 DYN mike.
It gave me the fullest sound yet.
I always try my presets with a backing track to see how it sits in the mix.
Even the Light of my Life, who says she has no clue what she's supposed to hear, immediately noticed the fuller sound in comparison to my previous favorite IR.
But you should try it out yourself.
Of course, as usual all IMHO and YMMV but it's easy to do and perhaps you might be surprised.

I think your approach is similar to the mixed stock Red Wire cabs in the Axe-Fx.

I think your approach is similar to the mixed stock Red Wire cabs in the Axe-Fx.
I think so too.
i just compared the two and they sound remarkably similar.
One thing I want to try, when the new Fractal Cab thingy is out, is varying the settings from cap to cone edge.
i suspect, sinc the cap has the biggest displacement, it should have a greater influence on the sound.

Yep. A purest possible signal can be most desireble sometimes.

I may go for something like Matrix NL-series later, just to have the option. Running things (almost) like in the old days ;)

Back
Top Bottom