For the love of natural strats

1poorplayer

Power User
I've seen them in the past , and I'm sure some of you guys have some or have seen them. I remember seeing an all natural unfinished body with a single slant humbucker in a white pickguard ; in the style of EVH , with a maple neck. It was years ago , but it was hard to forget.
Someone here mentioned warmoth , in another thread , and some of their natural bodies are amazing. Black Korina is kick azz. Anyone have pics of their favorites ?Screenshot_20170224-193526.png Screenshot_20170224-192717.png Screenshot_20170224-182948.png Screenshot_20170224-192302.png

@Admin M@ and others , ..... what's your opinion on the alder vs Ashe ( tone-wise ) ?
I know my Ashe tele blew the alder body teles i tested - out of the water. My only experience with a strat is alder. It sounds great IMO , and resonates like crazy. Sounds fantastic unplugged as well. But , like I said , it's the only strat I've got , or played much , so I can't realistically say how great it really is !

Last edited:
Ash has more spank and it is heavier. Alder is a bit more mellow (not as bright sounding). Either are excellent guitar woods. It just depends on how you want it to sound (and the weight).

Ash is the tone for me.
Ditto, although my favorite isn't made by Fender. It's a Carvin Bolt kit that I finished with 6 coats of Tung Oil.

002.jpg

This thread has me wondering about the wood in my Strat.

I always thought it was Ash but it's painted solid and not super heavy. It's possible mine is Alder. But it does have incredible sustain. Even with a 100% stock trem.

@Admin M@ and others , ..... what's your opinion on the alder vs Ashe ( tone-wise ) ?
I know my Ashe tele blew the alder body teles i tested - out of the water. My only experience with a strat is alder. It sounds great IMO , and resonates like crazy. Sounds fantastic unplugged as well. But , like I said , it's the only strat I've got , or played much , so I can't realistically say how great it really is !
In general, I prefer alder for Fender style guitars with a tremolo and Ash for non tremolo Fenders although I have an alder Tele that sounds amazing.

Here are mine. 2000 and 1982, plus a 2001 Tele. I've owned each since it was new. I also have a J-bass natural and a very cool natural single cutaway, plus a natural mahogany LP Jr.View attachment 38306

I'm a huge fan of natural finishes. I had an 82 just like yours but with the tortoise shell pickguard. The ash body, maple neck had amazing bell-like sparkle, incredible sustain. Pickups out of phase had killer spank too. I had a chance to buy it back from the friend who bought it from me years ago and regretfully didn't, now it's gone. :(

I love the look of natural finishes, but I don't own any currently. I have an unfinished body I bought off of Dan Strain (Danocaster) that I will likely keep natural and just put a finish on it if I can ever find a neck I like for it.

I hate to do this , but there's an oiled Ashe strat on eBay right now for a good price , that I would buy in a heartbeat if I didn't have a blue one on the way that I just bought ( and my wife would kill me ).

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/262837817318

Someone around here might as well have it. Lol.
BTW , don't blame me if it turns out to be a lemon. Looks good to me though. Damn. If this is posted , it means I've already gone back to eBay to drool some more first.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/262837817318

Someone around here might as well have it. Lol.
BTW , don't blame me if it turns out to be a lemon. Looks good to me though. Damn. If this is posted , it means I've already gone back to eBay to drool some more first.

Hey All,
This ebay posting give me a bad feeling....

1- Serial matches USA 2014. That was 60th anniversary. They were tagging everything out of the US factory with anniversary badges and logos
2- Never seen a Fender tagged "limited edition." And the only 'special' marking is on the neckplate.
3- Just double checked the 2014 catalog. The only natural finish strat I found was "Classic Series '70s Stratocaster" with a signature 70s headstock

Last edited:
Don't really have a good one (shame on me):
SDC10481.jpg

It's a 90's MIJ Strat, with a 70's CBS style headstock but without the 70's style logo. Which I've never encountered before or since. Bought with one of my first pay checks around 1997 or 1998? It kinda reminded me of the Strats that Ritchie Blackmore was using around the time of the infamous California Jam. When he wrecked two of them that evening.

It's been modified with a Fernandes FSK-401 Sustainer kit, and Lace Sensor Blue (middle) and Red/Red dually (bridge) pickups with a set tremelo so it can only dive but not go up, which allows for easy drop D detuning. It also has the slimmest neck I've ever had on a Fender. Which is great as I don't like fat necks. Also has a push button kill switch between the volume knob and pickup selector. It used to have a coil split switch for the Red/Red dually, but I never used it other then for full humbucking setting.

Warmoth Walnut/Mahogany (chambered) flanked by an '89 AmericanDeluxe and 2010 '52 Hot Rod Tele:

IMG_3295.JPG

IMG_3294.JPG

IMG_3291.JPG

IMG_3293.JPG

Recently purchased a '98 PRS Swamp Ash Special which is fantastic... yet sunburst.

Hey All,
This ebay posting give me a bad feeling....

1- Serial matches USA 2014. That was 60th anniversary. They were tagging everything out of the US factory with anniversary badges and logos
2- Never seen a Fender tagged "limited edition." And the only 'special' marking is on the neckplate.
3- Just double checked the 2014 catalog. The only natural finish strat I found was "Classic Series '70s Stratocaster" with a signature 70s headstock

I did my best to convince someone else to buy this guitar , before I did ! It is one of the finest Ashe body strats I've ever seen. Brand new , never played , plastic still on the pickguard - beauty. This one is a keeper. Wow.
I pondered the sale page while in bed , before falling asleep , and couldn't get over the fact that I could not find a nicer looking example of this special edition , and for a price this low.
(Normally a recipe for disappointment ) lol , right ?
Wrong !

Back
Top Bottom