For Cinco de Mayo: Favorite Santana Song(s)?

Rex Rox

Power User
I'll start with this song. Its an obvious choice plus it is appropriate since I was there at the US festival. Unfortunately it is a very foggy memory (it was the 80's!). So I was glad when this video dropped. Now I can re-experience what I don't really remember anyway. Plus I was so far from the stage Carlos might as well have been Playing in Cancun!

Everything from this album (Moonflower)
Especially:
Europa (Earth's Cry Heaven's Smile)
I'll Be Waiting
Savor/Toussaint L'Overture
…and
Incident at Neshabur
Caravanserai (whole Album)

Everything from this album (Moonflower)
Especially:
Europa (Earth's Cry Heaven's Smile)
I'll Be Waiting
Savor/Toussaint L'Overture
…and
Incident at Neshabur
Caravanserai (whole Album)

Oh man that's a great choice. Dawn is one of his more jazzy tracks too which I love. Zulu is in Weather Report territory. He did an album with John Mclaughlin too in his devadip days. Ridiculously fabulous instrumental fusion!

Oh man that's a great choice. Dawn is one of his more jazzy tracks too which I love. Zulu is in Weather Report territory. He did an album with John Mclaughlin too in his devadip days. Ridiculously fabulous instrumental fusion!

Totally agree! The Bass on Zulu is so good. I was going to put more stuff like LD&S, but I sort of blew the favorite “song” part of the post right off the bat.🥴

Last edited:
Totally agree! I was going to put more stuff like LD&S, but I sort of blew the favorite “song” part of the post right off the bat.🥴
Not at all - the intent is to celebrate Carlos. So don't worry about the fave part. I hope the thread educates people who don't know how amazing and diverse Carlos is. I can't imagine there are geeter players that don't know but ...

Last edited:
I don’t want to derail this thread, but I thought this would be the place to get some help. (Being Santana fans and all)

I’m trying to locate a live video of Santana playing Black Magic Woman that use to make the rounds occasionally on MTV and or VH1 back in approximately the 1990’s (I think)

It was during the period in the video below when his hairline was receding but he grew his hair extra long. It seemed like it was a festival or sorts. Anyway, it was an extra excellent rendition of BMW where he did the whole extended solo he played at this time and was really on the mark this day. IIRC it was windy and his hair was blowing around and he looked extra cool. I have searched and searched and can’t find it. I wonder if anyone knows the video I’m referring to and knows where to find it? There’s dozens of live vids, but this one seems to be elusive. Thanks for any help.👍

Last edited:
I don’t want to derail this thread, but I thought this would be the place to get some help. (Being Santana fans and all)

I’m trying to locate a live video of Santana playing Black Magic Woman that use to make the rounds occasionally on MTV and or VH1 back in approximately the 1990’s (I think)

It was during the period in the video below when his hairline was receding but he grew his hair extra long. It seemed like it was a festival or sorts. Anyway, it was an extra excellent rendition of BMW where he did the whole extended solo he played at this time and was really on the mark this day. IIRC it was windy and his hair was blowing around and he looked extra cool. I have searched and searched and can’t find it. I wonder if anyone knows the video I’m referring to and knows where to find it? There’s dozens of live vids, but this one seems to be elusive. Thanks for any help.👍

Maybe this one in Moscow '87? Apparently you have to click watch on youtube.

Maybe this one in Moscow '87? Apparently you have to click watch on youtube.

LOL, that was what I first posted as an example, but got the “video unavailable” message and chose another. That’s not it, but is an example of the time period, but isn’t as good a performance. Not that it’s bad, but at this time he would sometimes stretch out the second solo where he does the D suspended deal and really take it soaring. Other times he would shorten it or just not be as inspired and hit the timing just right with the percussion section. Sort of hard to explain. I always thought the one I’m referring to was extra special and it was professional video and really captured some of the versions I saw live that I loved. Thanks…The one thing I remember was that it would get played on MTV or their affiliated channels occasionally. I have a feeling that it’s owned by them and is not easily found on mainstream social media sites.😡

P.S.
I had always thought it was the 82’ US festival, but that is not it.🤷

Back
Top Bottom