For all those who place their AxeFX on TOP of their Furman

Tybalt

This may be common knowledge, but it wasn't to me until just recently.

As the title goes, for those that have their Axe-Fxs (or any other sensitive electronic equipment such as a laptop, HDD etc..) sitting directly on TOP of a Furman power conditioner, I recommend to stop and change their layout.
I recently purchased a new P-1800AR at an extremely discounted price I could not resist. The unit is great (though heavy at 15lbs in single 1U space), however during my discourse with the Furman's reps about proper installation, I found out that Furmans radiate EMI signals upwards (not downwards) which is a magnetic field that causes NOISE in addition to corrupting data storage over time.

The rep stated that a distance of about "2 rack spaces" would be sufficient from the top of the Furman to avoid any problems, which I guess is about 3 inches. So far my Macbook Pro, which I left directly on top of the Furman for a couple days while it was un-racked, seems fine, however now knowing this information I definitely do not want to push it.

This is not a dis on Furman products, I really like their stuff. Just wanted to proliferate this information for those not in the know, y'know?

Re: For all those who place their AxeFX on TOP of their Furm

good to know! I have a Furman AR-15 II in the top of my rack. And if i lie my guitar on top with the volume knob on it's a hell of a lot of noise created, I guess this explains it. Thanks!

Thanks for the info.
It seemed logical (natural for that matter) to me keep my equipment below the Furman power in a rack scenerio.
My furman gave out and I switched to Monster but it sits in the same spot.
:D

Thanks for that tip, I'll be putting my Furman on the top from now on.

Sometimes they can create a boatload of static and noise just being near any gear, which is ironic.
I had a frying pan sizzle problem for a while a long time ago and i could not figure it out, i changed cords, isolated everything in my rack, shielded my guitars and on and on, and finally, the last thing i would of thought, i took the furman out of the equation - problem solved. (Shielding helped immensely and made it useable in the rack tho)
I still use one cause i have it but Honestly, i think they are a waste of money.
But i keep it a few slots away from my other stuff, which mean less usable rack space, luckily with the axe i don't need all that space anymore :D
All of them as far as the features they "supposedly" provide monster furman, it's seem to me is just marketing untill you get into the really expensive ones, to me a good power strip with surge protection and filtering is all you need especially at home, playing out live a furman or whatever is just more convenient.

That's cool to know, but I guess if you don't have a choice of where to put it, you could always mount it upside-down. ;)

Trem said:
Sometimes they can create a boatload of static and noise just being near any gear, which is ironic.
I had a frying pan sizzle problem for a while a long time ago and i could not figure it out, i changed cords, isolated everything in my rack, shielded my guitars and on and on, and finally, the last thing i would of thought, i took the furman out of the equation - problem solved. (Shielding helped immensely and made it useable in the rack tho)
I still use one cause i have it but Honestly, i think they are a waste of money.
But i keep it a few slots away from my other stuff, which mean less usable rack space, luckily with the axe i don't need all that space anymore :D
All of them as far as the features they "supposedly" provide monster furman, it's seem to me is just marketing untill you get into the really expensive ones, to me a good power strip with surge protection and filtering is all you need especially at home, playing out live a furman or whatever is just more convenient.

There's a lot of conflicting opinions when it comes to power surge protectors/conditioners. However I've never been able to find conclusive evidence one way or the other in terms of their overall effectiveness. It does seem that the UK has better power distribution than the U.S.

Ultimately, since there appears to be no final word on the matter, I suppose I'm paying for peace of mind more than anything else.

That being said, the unit I have I am very pleased with and only paid a fraction of the cost:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Furman-P-18 ... 1442972.gc

Tybalt said:
Trem said:

There's a lot of conflicting opinions when it comes to power surge protectors/conditioners. However I've never been able to find conclusive evidence one way or the other in terms of their overall effectiveness. It does seem that the UK has better power distribution than the U.S.

Ultimately, since there appears to be no final word on the matter, I suppose I'm paying for peace of mind more than anything else.

That being said, the unit I have I am very pleased with and only paid a fraction of the cost:

I used a $60 Furman (don't remember which) for 8 years, never had a single problem, played at tons of dives with it, and never had a single gear failure, or surge, or anything unusual happen.

Don't know if it was luck, or what, but for $60 with 8 outlets, and all the "conditioning" stuff going on, I'm not complaining. I broke it when I tried to mod it to fit into a spot it shouldn't have. And no, not anyplace perverted. :p

Also, I'm starting to wonder if all the "so-in-so's" countries electricity is awful is a bunch of crap. I live in the US, and all I hear from the guys that have traveled abroad is that the electricity over there sucks, but when I talk to guys that live over there and have traveled over here, they say that our electricity sucks, and since both can't be true the only explanation is that it has nothing to do with here or there, there are places that suck everywhere.

Tybalt said:
Trem said:

Nice grab, Yeah
That would be the really expensive ones, :cool:
It being a voltage regulator, and not just a "power conditioner", what that does is store power in capacitors and trys to keep the power flow unwavering,
the lesser furmans do not do that, as far as where they become useful i would say units starting with using smp are worthy but lesser than that model they don't do what that does.

Crap, I only have a 3u Rack Bag and one of the rails is stripped... so I have to mount the Axe on top...

Is this only the case for Furman conditioners? I have a Samson powerbrite but it's under my Axefx in my rack. Any idea?

I put my Furman P-1800 PF R on the bottom of my rack, so my Axe would be readable/reachable while standing. I also use the Furman to power a couple of Power Pedal 2+s and it keeps the cables low and out of the way. Flipping the Furman made a huge difference in the noise level and quality of sound through my Matrix GT1500FX. 20130417_173812a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom