for acoustic?

nnajar

what are you guys using to run an acoustic with the axe? I've been trying it with the tube pre, but it's a lot thinner than just running ino a baggs di and skipping the axe, but of course that doesn't when i want fx and my same wireless, etc....

N

you may find that you dont need an amp or cabinet sim at all.
With my acoustic, I run out of my guitar (endpin preamp, Juan Carlos pickup) into the axe. inside the axe i use some parametrics and the Multi band compressor for the hugest acoustic tone i have ever had. No amps, no cabs- just a bit of tone shaping and off to the board.

I do what Mike does, but add selectable effects that I can use at my discretion. Works fantastically. I use Input 2 and start with a mixer in my acoustic patch.

+1 on the no-amp approach.

Not an acoustic as such, but I process my RG2127X's piezo with the Axe alone. Just a series of compressors and EQs, followed by an enhancer to give a big stereoish kinda sound and I think some delay. Used to do the splitting thing with a parallel delay block and volume block, until I gave the enhancer another chance and found it did the same thing.

Scott Peterson said:
I do what Mike does, but add selectable effects that I can use at my discretion. Works fantastically. I use Input 2 and start with a mixer in my acoustic patch.

i do have a bit of delay running and the very infrequent quad chorus.

Scott how are you using the mixer? interesting

I agree to the no amp and cab approach.
Acoustic with endpin preamp out.
I did two acoustic patches, one with the tube preamp, para EQ, MBC, chorus, reverb and delay the other was identical sans tube preamp and chorus.
Both were stellar and better than any acoustic rig I´ve ever had - including the rigs based on a para DI or an AIR compact acoustic amp.

My acoustic setup is rather complicated as axe patches go. 2 pickups, D-tar wavelength and k&k pure western. both into input 2 L/R. the k&k gets minimal compression and eq, as it sounds pretty good as is. The wavelength gets a little eq and, more importantly, goes through an user cabinet IR of the d-tar mama bear preamp, which is one of those acoustic modeler preamps, similar to the fishman aura.

Sounds great and pretty realistic. I have several notch filters in the setup as it quite resonant and prone to feedback, however.

I need to get an acoustic simulator for electric guitar patch set up, though, I realized the other day.

They used to be all up on axechange, but I think the site's down, right?

But didn't someone make a zip of all the IRs and presets and junk up there?

Here are the MamaBear IRs that I have. Note: I did not create these, just collected them over time.

Could someone please explain how they are using their compressor(s) with where in the chain and what kind of settings in their acoustic patch.
Also, where are you putting eq in reference to the compressor.
I have never been very good with the compressor settings on this thing even after trying ones in the wiki. Thanks.
Scott

I play a Goodall Concert Jumbo with a Baggs iMix set up through my Axe and feel it's the best amplified tone I've had. I run this chain:

>>> FIL (to use as a clean boost) > DRV1 (T808 to thicken some leads) > AMP (Tube Pre - drive at 11:00) > DRV2 (Tape Drive - drive, tone, level at 1:00) > CHO > DLY > REV > GEQ >>>

The FIL, DRV1, CHO and DLY are only switched in as needed. Most of the time it's just AMP > Tape Drive > GEQ (just bringing ups some highs).

On this guitar and this patch, I don't feel the compressor offers any benefit ... seems no matter what, it kills dynamics. YMMV ... good luck.

xrist04 said:
Here are the MamaBear IRs that I have. Note: I did not create these, just collected them over time.
*Mucho Thanks* for sharing - these acoustic IRs add yet another level of depth & flexibility to the the mighty AFX! :p

~Rad~

ny10547 said:
Could someone please explain how they are using their compressor(s) with where in the chain and what kind of settings in their acoustic patch.
Also, where are you putting eq in reference to the compressor.
I have never been very good with the compressor settings on this thing even after trying ones in the wiki. Thanks.
Scott

I've been using the Multi Band Compressor in the Ultra...I'll have to go back and double check my settings, but basically my intention was to support the low as it rolled off and keep the highs crisp but tamed. My acoustic has a nice mid range presence so i just wanted to mix that frequency range in to keep it's clear center. I kept the threshold fairly low on the low end while tightening up a bit in the upper frequencies.
I've played around with the MBC in quite a few locations. From a mastering standpoint it would make more sense to have it last....but I have found it is more effective in my rig in front of the PEQ. I have the MBC first in the chain. Personally, I dont use the PEQ to boost anything- for me it's a cutting tool. I spent alot of time finding the pickup that reflected the qualities that i liked in my quitar and use the PEQ to cut the frequencies that were added by the pickup. To me, my amplified acoustic sounds exactly like my unplugged acoustic. The MBC following the PEQ in my rig had an unwanted effect, I found it more useful to place it before the PEQ, get the sustain i wanted and cut out what didnt represent my quitars tone.
I absolutly love the result. My amplified acoustic has never sounded better.

Back
Top Bottom