Bug? Footswitch becoming hard to read as unit heats up

Hello,
See attached picture. The foot switch screen names start to get difficult to read as the unit runs. It typically starts at approximately 20 minutes of playing time, but happens much quicker when using presets with high cpu. Is this typical? Not sure if it's a bug or a potential defect, or just something that's normal as the summer months heat up. Unit was purchased last September.

FM9 Screen.jpg

I'm not an expert, but it definitely does not look normal - I've never had the screens change like that as I play.

If it was constant, I'd think that maybe you have your global contrast setting wrong, but it doesn't seem like that in this case. Hopefully someone with a more comprehensive understanding of the unit will chime in.

Heat affects LCD displays, it's not limited to the modeler, so I think it's neither a bug or a defect. If it does it again, try changing the contrast in the global settings.

Make sure you don't block the underside vent or the side vents. The unit has an internal fan that will spin up once it gets warm enough, but if the vents are blocked there's nowhere for the heat to go.

Heat affects LCD displays, it's not limited to the modeler, so I think it's neither a bug or a defect. If it does it again, try changing the contrast in the global settings.

This ^^^^

Make sure you don't block the underside vent or the side vents. The unit has an internal fan that will spin up once it gets warm enough, but if the vents are blocked there's nowhere for the heat to go.

Also this ^^^^

Greg, I'm going to disagree with you here...this is clearly a hardware defect. I myself have an issue with some of the panels not lighting as brightly as the others and Fractal's response was to return on my dime for RMA. I have had several Line 6 products that use probably the same strips, and never had an issue with them.

I would contact Fractal support and send them this information. This seems like a hardware failure to me. I have used my FM3 and FM9 in some pretty warm environments over the last few years and I have never seen anything like this. I also have not seen any other issues raised exactly like this on the forum. Check with tech support and let us know what they say. Good luck!

I've seen this sort of thing happen in old '80s calculator screens when they get warm. If the contrast control has enough range to make it readable, it's not likely a hardware defect with the screens, but an environmental temperature issue....

Back
Top Bottom