foostswitch for tap tempo

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
I was in music store with my axe and tried several foostwitches for tap tempo for Axe fx.
But i found that momentary footswitches didn't work well, and all they had was 3 different momentary footswitches.
I tried to make my DIY latching footswitch which didn't work well because there was some sort of delay when pressing the switch.

can you confirm that latching footswitches are better for tap tempo?
Does boss Fs-5l work well for this?
Is there cheaper alternatives?

No, you need NON-latching footswitch for tap tempo. I use a Boss FS-5U with great success for this purpose. This is the non-latching version of the model you asked about (which is latching, and is not the right type).

Depends on what you are plugging the switch into as to which version you need. The Axe-FX itself will likely support both latching and momentary for a tap tempo. Some devices only support one or the other. If you can let us know what you will plug the switch into, I can probably say for sure. The Mission TT is built for this purpose, the TT-M is momentary and the TT-L is latching. If you have the choice momentary is normally quieter and a little faster. Latching usually has a positive click when pressed. http://www.mission-engineering.com/Miss ... ables.html. James.

Hmmm... just noticed that you could, potentially, use a latching pedal. The manual mentions this:

PEDAL1 TYPE - Chooses the type of pedal: continuous, momentary or latching.

(that's in the I/O setup area).

Having said that, I wouldn't ever consider using a latching pedal for tap tempo... but you may want to try the same momentary pedals again but make sure your pedal setup is set appropriately.

I will plug the footswitch to Axe pedal input. i couldn't set the tempo accurately with momentary footswitches i tried in the store. they either make the tempo double time or doesn't match at all.

Last night i had a gig and i borrowed a footswitch from the soundguy, it worked perfect, and it was a Proel latching (on/off) footswitch. I would buy that one if i had a chance to find the same model.

So did you check to see if your Axe-fx pedal1 or pedal2 setup is set to momentary? If it is *not* set to momentary and your switch is momentary, of course it won't work properly. The setting has to match the actual pedal type that you're using.

If the momentary switch isn't working as you expect it, maybe the polarity needs to be reversed.
One way to check if that's the case is to see if the tempo is being set when you release the pedal and not when you press.
But, yes, a momentary switch is what you want for tapping the tempo, not a latching one.

yes, i set them pedal type to momentary when i checked the momentary pedal.
and also the pedal was sending 2 clicks at a time: one when it was pressed and another when it was released i think that's why i couldn't set the tempo right.
but there was no polarity switch.
anybody uses a Proel momentary footswitch?

Yes, you can. If the MIDI controller supports external switches. The MFC101 does, the Gordius Little Giant does, and probably many others.

Back
Top Bottom