Followup Review from the Boutique Gear Snob.

I would again agree. Honestly, if money is not option. I would probably still have an Axe-Fx II.
Its capable of some things that no vintage or modern high-end gear are...

Maybe we'll have a "charming imperfections" parameter in the future..

Your not the only one that feels it can´t reach all the way , right now. I have tried most combinations and am still missing something.
My real amps are right in my face in the studio and the axe dissapears slightly in the mix . There is also a slight different feeling
while playing (any amp - or cab sim) . I hope that the next firmware is as good as the roumurs. My ultra started sounding really good first att FW 11.0 .
I have great hopes for FW 6.0 .

Ditto here, for the most part.
I am in the process of selling pieces I truly did not want to, and trying to find a way to record quiet-er-ly (without having to sell a kidney to afford it, lol). Although "the mighty 6" might "betterer" the models, the hype has now provided an unattainable expectation for me. So, the new decision is... are the effects enough reason to keep the unit, given a limited budget.

Thanks to the OP, and those chiming in with similar experiences. It is a nice breath of fresh air amongst the typical "believe or leave!" environment.

I was experiencing the same thing last night while I was trying to look through the bassman challenge thread. I listened and listened to the youtube clip (of course, not the cleanest sound) but something about it, I couldn't make it sound "raw" or that "heart thumping, not polished but in your face" notes I usually hear through a Fender. Though, I must say, I didn't use any eq blocks or anything but just straight Amp and Cab blocks.

Just like the OP mentioned, still a great great great box! I need to sometimes forget about what tones to get and actually practice so my fingers produce 90% of my tone, lol

I dunno. I'm only mildly interested in recreating. I don't feel the need to be stuck in 1967 or '78 or '85 or '90. Yes, I want it to sound real. At least within reason. But this is not really the Industrial Age any longer. It's the Digital Age. Embrace. Otherwise it's tube only all the time. And there are too many reasons for me to want to move on.

I still have a few tube amps. I haven't plugged them in since I got the Axe Fx. I spent so many years with them. I'm kind of done with that. Recreating -- only recreating seems so limited to me. I think it's past time to look towards new horizons.

YMMV.

I agree that the Axe isn't 100% there. Sometimes it's 90, sometimes it's 110. Clean compared to my Tone King Metropolitan, the TK takes it for sure. Playing live where I can't play as loud as I might like, it's often better than my tube stuff because I can get most of the quality of an amp plus pedals that's a lot louder than I'm actually playing without getting kicked out of a band or club.

I, too, like the rawness of a tube amp (and then I like taming it and/or accentuating it with pedals/pickups/volume and tone knobs). I found Scott P's thread on cabinet blending to be very useful in helping with that characteristic. I've tried tones of people's presets and while I respect the craft that goes into them, I don't use any of them because they sound too processed and non-dynamic mostly. I do just what Scott does, which is to say, amp and cab block and nothing else for the basic sound. Maybe a little verb. I'll add pedals to tweak the sound, but it all starts really basic.

I also love the repeat-ability factor of the Axe. Sometimes I plug my tube amps in somewhere and think "what's missing here?" Could be power source, tubes at a particular moment, planets unaligned or ?, but it just doesn't sound as good as I know it did last time.

I haven't sold my tube amps, but they sure get a lot less playing time since I got the II (they got more playing time when I had the Ultra). I don't find it offensive at all to say it doesn't sound just like whatever tube amp. I hear that in a bare room with nothing else happening. In a mix, live, I'm generally happy as can be and have lots of tube head guitarists with great gear come up and say they had no idea I was using a digital box until they saw it.

For me the Axe Ultra and particularly the II have gotten close enough that I committed to the path they're on, knowing it's only going to get better and better. I've spent 10's of thousands on guitar amps and for the ones I like, there are some that have gotten slightly better or more functionally useful (the TK Metropolitan is a great BFish meets Tweedish rig with power scaling), but the tube amps haven't improved remotely to the degree that the Axe has in the 3+ years I've been using it/them. If improvements continue apace, this discussion will likely become less and less relevant. In the meantime, I'm keeping some tube amps and pedals, and playing my II most of the time.

I like it when this kind of thread comes up. I think noting the deficiencies of the Axe helps it to get better so long as we don't pound them into the ground or say it's useless because it's not perfect.

Last edited:
I agree. I don't have much of a doubt that we will get near 100% very soon.
If there weren't room for improvement, why would Cliff keep updating the amp modeling?
However the last few % may soon be redundant.

At this point both a great tube amp and the Axe II sound incredible and the gap is closing. I need to stop comparing before I lose my sanity..

I have to agree with Joe in most cases. I've been playing the AXE II for over 6 months now. My frustration is mostly in the continual tweaking I found myself doing each time I played out with a band. Maybe its because I can cover 90% of what I want with my 2 channel Goldfinger and 5-6 pedals. I've never wanted to completely emulate anyone's sound.
My other point is perhaps I am lazy. I'd rather reach down and tweak a pedal while playing live than to run over to the unit and make changes.
I will tell you that I have gone to playing the Axe FX II with my pedal board and tube amp. I'm using it for some of the cool effects in my loop that I couldn't duplicate with just pedals. Pretty cool.
Finally I keep my axe handy for amp failures. I had one a few weeks back (bad resister). Just went to global and turned the power amps and cab sims back on, plugged into the FOH and was back up and running. This is money! I'm keeping my AXE II and use it every week, but my Tubes are continuing to glow. Ha!

a lot of the frustrations that i'm hearing don't have to do with the axe fx. most of the shortcomings have to do with the way the axe fx is amplified. i tried a bunch of frfr's when i initially got my ultra and they all fell short in one way or another (ie. they couldn't keep up with a 10 piece band with horns, didn't have the direct kind of feel that a tube amp provides, weight, etc...). i think it's going to take a visionary (like a cliff kind of a guy) on the amplification side of things to come up something that raises the bar on that end of the equation. for now, i'm happy using my axe II in front of my redplate amp as an effects unit and i still have one of the most powerful studio tools ever created for us guitar players

Back
Top Bottom