FOH & FRFR

pamisano

Inspired
Ok, I tried looking through previous posts, but couldn't find the answer. I am running a Friedman ASM12 (which only has balanced out) and to FOH. I use Output 1 Balanced out to the Friedman and then Output 2, Unbalanced, into a DI Box then to FOH. For testing purposes, at home, to set levels and make sure I'm getting the same signal/sound from both Output 1 and Output 2, I am running the unbalanced into a DI then into a Atomic Reactor powered wedge. I have Output 2 set to echo Output 1 in I/O.

However, the signal from Output 2 is significantly lower than that of Output 1 when running through the DI box. If I just run the unbalanced from Output 2 straight in the Reactor Wedge, BOOM, big volume increase.

I have tried using both an inexpensive LiveWire Solutions DI and an expensive Radial JDI and both significantly cut the volume. I am not sound guy so am no expert on PAD but I've tried the PAD both on and off. Of course with the PAD on it's even lower volume.

Is there a setting I'm supposed change in the AxeFx II or is it just something inherent to using a DI box?

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Yep, I know that they have different contrs, both physical knobs and software. But that doesn't explain the difference between. The DI and straight unbalance d.

I wouldn't expect a huge difference using a DI box, especially an active one, given equal cable runs, etc. Once my III gets here I will have to test this with mine and see what I get.

I wonder if signal level issues are in play here..?

As an approximate guide:
Mic Level or DI box output: -30dBu
Instrument Level: -20dBu
Consumer Line Level: -10dBv
Pro Line Level: +4dBv

On a side note remember that some active DI boxes are unable to handle extreme signal levels because of limitations on buffering amplifier rail voltage and therefore the input signal can be clipped introducing distortion or other unwanted artefacts. Passive DI boxes have their own pros and cons.

Output from a DI box is Mic Level but the output from your Axe FX is Pro Line Level so that probably explains the difference in volume.

Beyond that, I agree with @Tahoebrian5 - why use a DI at all and why not just go straight to the desk?

Of course it does depend where you are plugging into the desk for FOH and what signal it is expecting. You should also be gain staging and therefore think about Axe FX output level, mixing desk input jack or XLR and expected signal level, desk channel input gain etc. etc.

EDIT - just noticed you were testing both scenarios with the Atomic but the principle still stands.

Back
Top Bottom