FOH and ASM-12 Connections w/ Separate Output Control

CactusTone

Inspired
The ASM has XLR input only. I've been running Output 1 L (XLR) to the ASM, and Output 1 R (XLR) to the FOH mixer (which is setup for mono). I'm setting Output 1 R to "Copy L=>R" in the I/O menu.

This has been working, but I want to have separate control over my ASM volume, without changing the signal level being sent to the FOH mixer. Since Output 2 is unbalanced, how can I do this connection-wise, and what settings do I need to use internally on the AXE II XL+?

I use Out 2 for monitoring. As long as your cable runs are short, you should be fine. I have my Axe in a rack sitting in top of my Matrix FR12. I just use a 3' cable.

I'm using TRS out of the Axe, XLR into the Matrix via a TRS/XLR combo cable. Not sure if this is the right way, but I've been using it noise free for a while.

I use a TRS to XLR cable from the L Output 2 of my Axe to my ASM-12 then Output 1 XLR's to our PA. You can get the cable here:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...oldTRSXLRM03&gclid=CL-whfHh8tMCFYaCswod9TcANw
Thank you! Out of curiosity, have you ever tried running XLR from Output 1L to ASM, then daisy chaining the ASM's thru out to FOH and using the level knob on the ASM to control monitor volume?

I just received a response from Fractal Support about an hour ago suggesting this method. It seems wrong to me however, as the ASM's level knob has a max range of 30dB.

As stated int he manual:

"NOTE that LEVEL Control has a range of 30dB. It does not attenuate output signal to zero. LEVEL control on the loudspeaker is used to set optimal maximum level for performance, not for constant control of sound volume. Your Digital Ampli er’s master volume control should be used for this."

"NOTE that LEVEL control provides about 12dB attenuation in middle position. You will nd that in most cases the best sound (lowest distortions and lowest noise) will be achieved when LEVEL control is set somewhere between middle and full clockwise position."

Thoughts?

No never tried that. The ASM-12 is not completely flat in it's EQ to my ears. It's got a bit of a bass boost to it which helps to give it that cab like quality. Seems to me if you sent the signal from it to FOH that FOH would get that bass bump as well. I could be wrong. Just get the cable and you can run everything exactly like you're wanting to.

No never tried that. The ASM-12 is not completely flat in it's EQ to my ears. It's got a bit of a bass boost to it which helps to give it that cab like quality. Seems to me if you sent the signal from it to FOH that FOH would get that bass bump as well. I could be wrong. Just get the cable and you can run everything exactly like you're wanting to.
I haven't used the ASM12, but on every other powered speaker I've used, the loop output is exactly the same as the input.
The only exception would be if there was a crossover built into the speaker and designed to be used as a matching pair - like when you use subwoofers & tops together (JBL sub outputs for example, might have a 80Hz HPF. other brands might put this in the tops)

There would be no 'bass bump' going to FOH when coming out of your ASM12's output.
I also doubt the 30db attenuation limit would be an issue on a live stage - you need some volume to be able to hear yourself!

I haven't used the ASM12, but on every other powered speaker I've used, the loop output is exactly the same as the input.
The only exception would be if there was a crossover built into the speaker and designed to be used as a matching pair - like when you use subwoofers & tops together (JBL sub outputs for example, might have a 80Hz HPF. other brands might put this in the tops)

There would be no 'bass bump' going to FOH when coming out of your ASM12's output.
I also doubt the 30db attenuation limit would be an issue on a live stage - you need some volume to be able to hear yourself!
Good to know the bass bump isn't an issue. There is another paragraph in the manual, however, that leads me to believe the actual range of attenuation is closer to 20dB since the circuit doesn't like to be run at low gain settings:

"When operating with the GAIN set at 1/3 volume or below, it may be possible to exceed the headroom of input circuitry on your loudspeaker. If this is the case, reduce the input signal strength and increase the gain of the loudspeaker amplifier."

Even though 20dB is nothing to scoff at, I'd hate to put strain on the circuit without knowing it, and since I use it as a floor monitor, it's impossible to watch the LEDs when playing. Using the ASM's gain knob for attenuation seems precarious.

Hi, I connect my ASM with out 1 and send out 2 to the FOH. Is this the wrong way? Where is the advantage to send out 1 to the FOH? I use TRS to XLR, if I´m using my Matrix Q12a I use humbuster
I send XLR's to FOH and Output 1 has the XLR outs.

Back
Top Bottom