Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 - Not Recommended

EG 2006

Inspired
I just bought a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 so I can hook up my Axe Fx 3 via SPDIF. Rig is simple. All I have is a PC, an Axe FX 3, the 8i6 and my Adam monitors. I install the drivers for 8i6 - PC/USB audio works fine - no problem. Turn on the Axe FX 3 - works fine - no problem. Turn the Axe FX 3 off - lose all audio! No USB audio. I've tried every setting I can find in Focusrite control and no luck. I try and run Music Bee and it says "no soundcard". So, uninstall and reinstall the 8i6 driver and I have PC/USB audio back again and the cycle continues. Why doesn't the Focusrite have somewhere to choose what input I want to run? I can't see anywhere where I can choose USB or SPDIF input to play. Sorry guys. Doing my head in. Help!!

Off the top of my head, check your sound settings in Windows. I'm thinking this isn't a Focusrite issue.
Thanks David. The Windows settings all seem to be correct with Focusrite selected as the sound device. I'm just lost as to whether this is a Windows issue, a Focusrite issue or an Axe FX 3 issue. I know there have been USB issues with Axe Fx 3 and Windows recently so thought I'd flag the topic here. The Scarlett series are one of the the most popular audio interfaces around so I am sure I'm not the only Axe Fx owner to use one. I've raised a support ticket with Focusrite so fingers crossed something comes out of it.

OK, found a (the) solution - you have to build a separate profile for each audio option in Focusrite Control. Build one for USB audio - save it. Build another for SPDIF audio - save it. Recall either profile as required. Would have thought a simple switch might have been a good idea! Means you can't run Axe FX without PC running. Hopefully a heads up for others.

Thanks for that and yes agreed but I need the Scarlet to function as the main interface. What a nightmare of a product this is! I made the mistake of trying to run EZDrummer through it at the same time as Axe FX via SPDIF and I lost Axe FX altogether. Doesn't matter what I do I can't get the Axe back. Reboot, re set Control settings, re-installed all USB drivers - no good. Pulled it out and put my trusty Mackie Big Knob+ back in place and I have all the flexibility I could ask for and it works! Just no SPDIF which I was hoping too use to avoid running through the analogue pres in the interface.

There goes $679 AUD on a no good to me Scarlett. My next option looks like being the Arturia AudioFuse Studio 18/20 and that's gonna sting! Anyone know of any other interface that can run USB audio and SPDIF - that has MANUAL/DIAL/BUTTON controls and needs no software to try and rout the inputs/outputs?

That Scarlett probably does actually work. I think they're fairly common, and the software for it covers most of their interfaces I think, so that's pretty many users they don't just have to throw their purchase away. Hit up their support with your questions, and/or look for a support forum.

Off the top of my head I can gather this... When using S/PDIF, you're using only one cable, right? If so, means that, for syncing both unit's clocks the Axe FX III is set as the master device and the Scarlett is the slave, that's why when you turn off the Axe, the scarlett loses the clock and unlocks itself, leading to the PC not recognizing it. That behaviour is absolutely normal, and it's not exclusive of your 8i6.

What I do is using 2 cables for both S/PDIF in and out, so I set my interface as the Master and it's sending clock to the Axe-FX III, that way it doesn't matter if the Axe is on or off, it won't have effect in the USB audio from the interface. You have to set the Word Clock (I/O Audio menu) to SPDIF/AES in and YES, if you want to use your Axe without your PC you should reset this value again to Internal. Again, this has nothing to do with your particular interface, it's the nature of the (digital) beast, so to speak...

Back
Top Bottom