Focal vs JBL vs ? (Thoughts for guitar and bass)

hobbes1

Inspired
I'm looking hard at the Focal Alpha series and the JBL LSR432x series. Not really sure whether the 6" vs 8" would be better for me. I'm in a 22' x ~8' space, untreated but with multiple (full) bookshelves, rug on the floor, on a crawlspace and with 8' ceiling and multiple windows. The reason I've really started looking hard at these two monitors is that they both allow hooking up two simultaneous sources (eg: computer via RCA and modeler via XLR). I'm not aware of any any other speakers in this price range that will do this and it would be nice to avoid a separate mixer as this workstation will be shared with my wife and kids and I need it to be as easy as possible for them to listen to stuff on the computer but also be able to accommodate when I want to jam to tracks, learn songs etc.

I also play bass as well as guitar and need something with adequate bass handling (I don't expect pants flapping, ampeg 'fridge style bass), preferably without a subwoofer if possible. I plan to also be doing some basic home DIY recording and so want some monitors that are pretty neutral (as possible at the price point).

I'd appreciate it if anyone could comment on their experiences/thoughts which of these two monitors and which size might be best for my application or if you think something else in that price range or cheaper would be so much better that it's worth buying a cheap mixer to make it work. thanks!

LSR 4328 definitely "better" than the LSR4326, lower lows.
But...the JBL LSR series need to be "loud" to sound their best, maybe 90db?
Also, they are rear-ported so keep them at least 3-4 feet away from walls(and put absorbing material on the walls behind them).
No experience with the Focals.

While I haven't looked at the JBL's, I own a pair of Focal Solo BE6's. They run about $1300 each, and for a 6.5" woofer, they crank a lot of great bass. If I was shopping for a less expensive monitor, I'd definitely give the Alphas a look. I'd probably roll with the 8" just to be safe, but based on empirical data, their 6.5" kicks ass.

Thanks for the thoughts, all. I have a pair of LSR4328p I just recently got a good price on....haven't had a chance to hook them up yet.

Back
Top Bottom